Rust and body filler

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:06 pm
I found a guy in my area that says he can fix the rust in my doors and fenders. He wants to cut out the rust and then fill in the holes with body filler. I don't know if this is a long term fix or a quick fix?? Will this work okay?
Thanks for any help,
Joe

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:59 pm
Are you restoring the truck or just putting band aides on it to get buy?

Rusted metal should be completely removed whenever possible and replaced with good metal.

Filler should ideally be less than 1/8" thick.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:35 pm
No, I'm wanting the truck restored. I thought maybe he was cutting corners on this. Thanks!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:49 pm
What kind of truck is ? it can you post some pictures ?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:37 pm
It's a 68 Ford F250. I had pictures saved on my computer but I don't know what happened to them??

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 am
A proper restoration is a lot of work on any vehicle.
You will also need space and tools. I wrote this article to help beginners: https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/

Here are some basic tips:

Take video and a 1000 pictures of EVERYTHING on your vehicle.

When disassembling - Bag every piece and every nut and bolt in a properly identified bag or container.

Get as much literature as you can, including the factory parts manuals and maintenance books. Decipher fender tags and VIN.

Figure out what parts and do-dads get finished in each type of finish and divide them into piles for sandblasting, media blasting, powder coating, painting, plating, etc.

Then make a list of stuff you need and start researching where to get it from.

Don't buy paint and clear or things you aren't going to use until later in the process. You will need that money for other things along the way.

Save stuff even if you don't plan on reusing it and consider rebuilding original components where possible over replacing with generic rebuilds and repops.

If your going to do a stock type resto I would say the absolute best thing you can do is go to the shows and take lots of pictures of ORIGINAL unmolested cars. Don't bother looking at restored cars if you are really striving to get it perfect.

Good luck, there’s lots of great advice on this board so keep us posted!
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:54 pm
Thanks Jim for the excellent article! I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge with many of us.

Return to Body and Paint