Painting Piano hinge door -

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 am
I plan to repaint a couple of the storage compartment doors on my motor coach.

These doors have a sort of "piano hinge" at the top (they swing up to open). It's not a fully exposed hinge but I think if the new paint spans the hinge gap it will crack when dry and then the door is opened.

I can't remove the doors to paint - so How do I paint the hinge area so that the paint doesn't dry over the hing and crack when I open the door?

I guess I could move the door through its range (opening//closing door) as the paint is drying so the paint doesn't dry hard while spanning the hinge segments. But that doesn't sound very practical.

Is there another way to do this - or maybe it is not a concern?

What do you think? I don't have a very good photo of the hinge. Here you can see one door that is open next to the other closed door.

Beaver - Spare Tire by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152383962@N02/][/img]

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 pm
I suggest you spray one side at a time (front/back) and apply light coats of paint and clear.
When dry you can work the hinge back and forth just to be sure it moves smoothly and the paint the opposite side in the same manner.

Maybe someone else will chime in with their suggestions as well.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:12 pm
:goodpost: what I've done if the hinge is tight, as in put together tight so there is little room for paint millage. is to take paint remover and strip just the hinge area then just light coats of color and clear. if you do this test a small spot on the back side to see if it will work. some of that trim could be powder coated and difficult to remove.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:51 pm
I have to do all kinds of bizarre hinge setups with furniture. Just another tip past the good advice you've already gotten. If the hinge seems like it is tight sectioned try either using a razor blade or one of those micro dental floss picks to slowly "cut" the paint in those areas before flexing it after your fresh shoot. Doing it like that can avoid a chip/pop of an area.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 am
Thanks for all the great advise.

Return to Body and Paint