Question about metallics...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:37 pm
Is it possible to choose a metallic color and have it mixed without the flakes?? If so, how will it affect the overall color and pop?

I will be painting my next project in pieces. Fenders one day, hood the next, etc.. I'm told if you spray metallic like this there's a good change the panels won't match up. So just curious how color would look without the flake? I'm looking at blue and it seems every brilliant blue color out there is metallic.

Thanks...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:30 pm
Go talk to a paint supplier.
I know my DuPont supplier has a book with chips of every
possible color out there. Surely you could find one there.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:13 pm
If you pull the metallic out of a metallic paint, of course, it will change the color and pop.....I mean that's the point of a "paint color" or more accurately a paint scheme or package. Every color component in there makes it different. The metallic is like a bunch of tiny mirrors in the mix, catching, reflecting, refracting, color, whatever all over. The further you stand back from the paint the more "homogenized"the color looks.
If it was me I would do this....start going around to used/new car lots and write down the blues you like, take a pic., and yes, take a look at some paint code books. I'm seeing a lot of new solid color cars that look very cutting edge.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:38 am
With the Dupont/Axalta system it is possible to spectro a metallic colour and then get the system to come up with a non-metallic that is almost the same.

Obviously it won't have the changes in colour and depth as you change viewing angle, but, face-on, it should be much the same.

It's a trick I use sometimes when I want a matching ground coat.

I'd imagine that other companies' systems are able to do the same.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint