Finally ready for paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:14 pm
you really should shop around, and pay attention to how the base mixes like the above 1:1 some are different. 3200 does seem high but I haven't done a complete for a few years. please let us know the quote you get from Automotive Art. there are so many paint brands out there its really confusing and asking people for their advice on a product is iffy. Coronet suggested the Automotive Art, I would believe him as he has used it a lot and knows what he is doing. rather than the guy that has painted 1 maybe 2 cars with Omni paint products and said it worked great, he's full of BS.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:14 pm
I am not sure this is possible for you but Tamco does offer base coats at what I thought was fairly reasonable pricing. The last quote I got for them on base was less than $400 a gallon (that's US) for what I would say was a premium base color. Not sure if they distribute or can ship to you there. There other products are featured right here on this site.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:34 pm
DarrelK wrote:I am not sure this is possible for you but Tamco does offer base coats at what I thought was fairly reasonable pricing. The last quote I got for them on base was less than $400 a gallon (that's US) for what I would say was a premium base color. Not sure if they distribute or can ship to you there. There other products are featured right here on this site.

"I am not sure this is possible for you but Tamco does offer base coats at what I thought was fairly reasonable pricing..."

Call Tamco, they are great to work with. And their support is fantastic.
Last edited by OldFatBald on Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:43 pm
Doright wrote:There are many suppliers of of Solvent based products that will ship to your door.
UNLESS you are in the Republic of California and then you'll need to make a drive to Nevada maybe Oregon, Arizona or? to get a quality product.

That statement is not really true for a home shop in California.

I use a lot of solvent products and I am in California.

I have used PPG's Envirobase and once I got the hang of it, I love it other than the $$$. But I was also shooting in my unconditioned pig barn during the summer heat. At first I didn't believe the "2 Minute" flash times (how?) but that was no bs, which helped with the bugs and dust big time. I was shooting a metallic brown and kept getting tiger striping until I pulled the gun back from the surface more than what I had previously been doing.

If I could afford it, I would use nothing but waterborne, and if I ever get around to doing my whole car, that is the only thing that I would consider, but these other guys have a LOT more experience than me and my rookie weekender projects.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...
Previous

Return to Body and Paint