Solvent pop

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:13 am
I just finished a mettalic candy red and it wasnt until i put the clears on and they had dried that I found solvent pop had happened and the colour in the heart of the 13 mini pops was my gold mettalic base

Gonna sand it back and start again, but i need to be more pro active

Process, was 2 light mist coats 5 minutes apart on my base gold and allowed 24hrs dry time, scuff sanded with gold scuff pad, mist coat gold again and then 2 coats mettallic red 5 minutes apart, allowed 24hrs dry time, scuff sanded with gold pad, mist coat red followed by three coats clear 5 minutes apart, in subsequent 4 hrs drying, I identified the solvent pop which has a gold tinge in the centre of the pop

so my question
Does in my example solvent pop occur becuase i trapped in some solvents in my gold layers, i.e i should have waited longer between coats back then, or did solvent pop occur because i layed my clear coats too heavy or too close together time wise which reactivated said thinners in the gold layer

Steve

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:44 am
sounds pretty confusing to me...
got some pics ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:30 pm
also wonder why the 24 hour wait time and the scuff and spray again, are you doing some art work or graphics.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:43 pm
PainterDave wrote:sounds pretty confusing to me...
got some pics ?

I agree, not nearly enough information to offer any suggestions or properly diagnose the problem.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:59 pm
24hr drying time was simply to deal with dust control, scuffing it clean and time to do the job, 30/40 things going at any one time

I have gone down the path of base coats which others have advised me re my clear adhesion issues on another topic, I normally would have done this as a lacquer

Picture
IMG_2897.JPG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:40 pm
i'm no genius but it looks more like fish eyes to me. I've hardly ever had to deal with solvent pop, but have had my share of fish eyes. until I started following a ritual in my prep work and paying attention to things that cause fisheyes. solvent pop is USUALLY wide spread fisheyes can be just in one area or just one only or a hundred all over.
fisheyes usually go down to the cause were you see the gold color. solvent pop usually is just a bubble that pops then kinda covers its self up.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:01 pm
I agree with Jay. That looks more like contamination than solvent pop.

While I understand why, your process of leaving base coats exposed is one that bothers me a bit and, in the same situation, I'd be looking at keeping this exposure to a minimum by reviewing other factors that may be allowing dust contamination in the first place, rather than trying to remove the dust after drying of each coat.

Things like how well your booth is filtering air, actual air flows within the booth and, of course, your interactions within the booth and around the piece you're painting.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:24 pm
Well, that didn't look like solvent pop to me either. Contamination is usually much worse when working in a wood shop situation like yours.... It's one of the reasons I've spent a lot of time over the years "tailoring" our catalytic furniture coating process. We now have the right balance of solvents to get fast "skinning" of our coatings while still getting a nice slow flow-out to decrease or eliminate further cutting/buffing. Only one time I ever got bad fisheye was when my big compressor crapped out and started blowing oil past it's rings. Had to tear my entire pipe system out and pitch all my hoses.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:34 pm
Thanks.

As this is the first time with base coat its thrown me a little bit, never had the issue with lacquer (nitrocellulose) , so shows how forgiving lacquer really is.

Have stripped it and will get it painted again today with extra care to my cleanliness between coats, lots of masking and unmasking occurs as well with tape, so will have to make sure I am removing all residue and not spreading the residue

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:26 pm
I had this happen once when using a tack cloth. Must have pressed too
hard rather than dragging it across the surface. Pay special attention to
however you're removing the dust...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army
Next

Return to Body and Paint