Orange peel removal

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:05 pm
Hello all I was wondering about orange peel on clear coat. Is it best to wet send between coats as soon as you see it or can you wait until after all the clear has been applied or does it matter?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:10 pm
I wouldn't try the old sand between coats that's an old lacquer technique. the problem is if you try and sand it out on the first or second coat you run the real risk of sanding through into the base color. that can open up a lot more problems. there are several ways to do this one is just apply 3-4 coats then sand it down smooth and buff OR apply one good wet coat. the first thing you NEED to do is figure out what causes the O/P in the first place so this doesn't become a problem.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:56 pm
:goodpost: :goodpost:

Usually orange peel is caused by poor atomization of the clear or being too far from the panel.
We would need to know more information in order to diagnose the problem.

Try putting your next coat on keeping your gun no farther than 6" from the panel and moving slow enough to put a wet coat on. Let that flash real good before putting another coat on.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:27 am
:goodpost: there are several things that cause O/P you really need to get that under control first.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint