Need some direction

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:26 pm
that's sounds like a good way for you to go. I hope they make you a good deal, you'll probably save 100.00 in materials that you would use if you did it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:19 am
Keep in mind, if you use an etch primer anywhere, body fillers and
etch primers are not compatible.
That's why I stay with epoxy.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:45 am
badsix wrote:that's sounds like a good way for you to go. I hope they make you a good deal, you'll probably save 100.00 in materials that you would use if you did it.
Jay D.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Really the cost savings is true but then there's the how long will it take. Last time I went through this it was a bigger job for the guy and I ended up going and picking it up half done and handing it over to someone else, its probably the results of that instance that I decided to learn to do this stuff myself.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:48 am
JCCLARK wrote:Keep in mind, if you use an etch primer anywhere, body fillers and
etch primers are not compatible.
That's why I stay with epoxy.

Thanks JC, even if I can't get a realistic turn around time and end up stripping it myself and epoxy priming myself or DTM priming, can I carry on right to the finish prime coat with the same stuff before the base coat?

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:49 pm
Well that didn’t go well , went to 3 places and best price was $300 plus and that’s to do it in 3 weeks. 2 of the 3 suggested I don’t sandblast it and that I just finish stripping myself and bring it back for epoxy.
Stopped my Napa again and still no nason 421-10 primer.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:49 pm
So when I got home I made the decision , throw on the respirator , safety glasses , grabbed the electric grinder with a new 80grit flap disc and went to town.
I just have to clean out the little nicks and crannies with a wire brush.
Attachments
jan 6.jpg
jan 6 3.jpg
jan6 4.jpg
jan6 5.jpg
jan6 6.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:42 pm
There you go that's what we're talking about. :clap: wipe it clean and shoot a couple coats of epoxy then you have an excilent foundation for your project. Paint remover works good on places you can't get with the sander.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:42 pm
First thing tomorrow I gotta see if I can get the area de-dusted, man what a mess.
Looks like I may have to buy the epoxy primer in the gallon , no quarts came in. It’s Nason 421-10 , a Direct to metal primer.
Will I be able to use this first to apply on metal, do the body filler and then reapply , basically will I be able to use this primer and not have to get anything else?
Well other than urethane paint.
I've read where an epoxy should be applied first for better protection but I do see in the
tech data sheet for the Nason 421-10 says:
APPLICATION SUBSTRATES
Properly treated bare steel, aluminum, and fiberglass
Thoroughly sanded, painted surfaces
Note: For the ultimate corrosion protection prime bare metal areas with Ful-Poxy® 491-10™
DTM Epoxy Primer/Sealer, SelectPrime™ 2K 491-55™ Chrome-Free Etch Primer or other
locally permitted Nason® etch primer or epoxy primer.

Please keep in mind this is more of a display piece and a once in a blue moon take out for a ride thing and will not see wet weather , it will although be kept in a semi heated garage.
Thanks

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 pm
Ok guys I’m back, I used a 2k epoxy in the spray bomb and everything went good, I’m just about done my body work. I’ve been back to Napa here a few times and wanted to get either nason or a Montana brand of primer in quart size but they haven’t been able to get it in. I wanted to know and hopefully someone is familiar with what’s available up here in Canada, what would be a just as good 2k primer as the Nason or Montana brand. I’m really frustrated trying to get one or the other of these products from Napa but we do have a Maslock and Atlas auto here but I wouldn’t know what is good compared to the next.
Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:12 pm
I've used Nasons a lot and been satisfied with it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint