Epoxy Primer questions

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:23 pm
Been reading here for awhile trying to gain knowledge for my project. I have a 'donor' cab for my '79 Ford truck. It's in my shop right now. Got it a year ago after it was walnut blasted. I need the room inside so I was going to move it out but don't want it to start rusting, much, if I can help it. If I sprayed it with a coat or two? of epoxy primer, would this resist or slow down any future rusting? Is epoxy primer by itself even water proof? Thanks for any advice.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:00 pm
If it has been sitting awhile I would be sure it is clean first, then run over it with 80 grit on a DA.

Wipe with W&G remove and let flash off. Shoot two coats of epoxy primer (a quality 2 part epoxy primer) inside and out making sure to let it flash between coats.

After 24 hours is should be set good enough to move outside. The epoxy will protect it for quite some time but not forever. The UV rays from the sun will eventually begin to break it down. Depending on the quality of the epoxy this could be 5 years or more.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:21 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:If it has been sitting awhile I would be sure it is clean first, then run over it with 80 grit on a DA.

Wipe with W&G remove and let flash off. Shoot two coats of epoxy primer (a quality 2 part epoxy primer) inside and out making sure to let it flash between coats.

After 24 hours is should be set good enough to move outside. The epoxy will protect it for quite some time but not forever. The UV rays from the sun will eventually begin to break it down. Depending on the quality of the epoxy this could be 5 years or more.

Sweet, that buys me some time. Thanks Coronet.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:37 am
spray everything you can, you can brush it in places you can't get.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:58 am
badsix wrote:spray everything you can, you can brush it in places you can't get.
Jay D.

Yes I suppose you have a point there...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:43 pm
You should be fine....When I build kit cars I get them all together with the rough body work done and hit them with 2 coats of epoxy. I then drive them for 6 to 8 months to work out all of the "bugs" in ride, vibration, movement, etc. Some minor cracking can always show and is easily addressed at that stage.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint