New Member -- thinking of tackling my first project

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:58 am
Sanding won't get all of that rust off.
Get a small pressure blaster and some media and blast the heavily pitted areas.
Then apply two coats of a quality epoxy primer. Let that cure for 24 hour and you can apply some filler and block sand to smooth out the rough areas.
Once satisfied spray a reduced coat of epoxy primer as a sealer, wait until well cured and then wet sand with 600 grit. Rinse well and blow dry with compressed air making sure to get water out of seams and pocket areas. When dry, clean with a good solvent based automotive Wax and Grease remover and let flash.
At this point you should be good to spray color.

Your compressor will make this a challenge, once it kicks on you may have to wait before continuing to spray and my guess is it will kick on often.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Sanding won't get all of that rust off.
Get a small pressure blaster and some media and blast the heavily pitted areas.
Then apply two coats of a quality epoxy primer. Let that cure for 24 hour and you can apply some filler and block sand to smooth out the rough areas.
Once satisfied spray a reduced coat of epoxy primer as a sealer, wait until well cured and then wet sand with 600 grit. Rinse well and blow dry with compressed air making sure to get water out of seams and pocket areas. When dry, clean with a good solvent based automotive Wax and Grease remover and let flash.
At this point you should be good to spray color.

Your compressor will make this a challenge, once it kicks on you may have to wait before continuing to spray and my guess is it will kick on often.

I agree on the compressor. If I decide to do all this work, I think I will have to upgrade my compressor....

I had the electrician wire me a 220 outlet in my garage for a compressor or a welder when I decided to add them.

Might just have to hunt one out.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:52 pm
I’m not a painter just hobbyist but I needed more air and ended up linking a second cheap compressor up to my original. Works good enough for now

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:11 pm
Billgluckman wrote:I’m not a painter just hobbyist but I needed more air and ended up linking a second cheap compressor up to my original. Works good enough for now

How did you go about linking them up?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:33 pm
I am looking at this compressor, and think it would do what I need it to do.....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-60-Gall ... 1000542193

I'll have to save up a little to get it. I think it would be a good addition to a "home" shop or garage.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint