Time between sanding and painting

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:10 am
Hi everyone, thank you so much for all the information on this forum.
I have a 2005 Camry that I’m going to do a single stage paint job on. I am going to use 320 grit for sanding but I probably won’t be able to do it all in one day due to time constraints. My question is, how much time is acceptable between the sand job and shooting paint? The car is parked outside. Thanks in advance!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:04 pm
you can probably go several days. I know some like to not do that, but in your case I would get it all sanded then wash it real good with soap and water ( Dawn soap) use a red scotch bright pad to wash it with. 320 is a little cores, you might think about getting it all sanded with the 320 then go over it with some 400 - 600 grit.
Jay D,
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:13 am
badsix wrote:you can probably go several days. I know some like to not do that, but in your case I would get it all sanded then wash it real good with soap and water ( Dawn soap) use a red scotch bright pad to wash it with. 320 is a little cores, you might think about getting it all sanded with the 320 then go over it with some 400 - 600 grit.
Jay D,

Thank you for the advice Jay. I’m going to shoot the paint as soon as I can after I sand it. Just wanted to make sure it’s not too detrimental if a wait a couple days. On that note, what would happen if I just did 320 grit?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 am
cruisinusa wrote:
badsix wrote:you can probably go several days. I know some like to not do that, but in your case I would get it all sanded then wash it real good with soap and water ( Dawn soap) use a red scotch bright pad to wash it with. 320 is a little cores, you might think about getting it all sanded with the 320 then go over it with some 400 - 600 grit.
Jay D,

Thank you for the advice Jay. I’m going to shoot the paint as soon as I can after I sand it. Just wanted to make sure it’s not too detrimental if a wait a couple days. On that note, what would happen if I just did 320 grit?

We do not know what paint you plan on using, what type of paint ? Basecoat ? Single stage ?
Metallic ? Solid ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:40 pm
he did say S/S but that's all we know, color? if you use the 320 your going to see sand scratches in your new paint.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:58 pm
PainterDave wrote:
cruisinusa wrote:
Jay D,

We do not know what paint you plan on using, what type of paint ? Basecoat ? Single stage ?
Metallic ? Solid ?

I am going to use Acrylic Enamel single stage solid jet black by TPS. The car is currently burgundy

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:32 pm
with the black you had better use the 600 paper. are you going to activate the acrylic enamel? you say the cars outside is that where its going to get sprayed?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 pm
Back in the "old days", 320 grit was the standard for final sanding for
acrylic enamel. For today's formulations, I too would go with 600 grit
just to be on the safe side. Especially with black. Definitely use a
hardener with the acrylic enamel, for higher gloss, better durability,
and a shorter recoat window in case repairs are needed.

I'm curious as to why you chose A/E instead of urethane single stage?
Nothing wrong with it, it's just an older technology than the newer
urethanes. Sometimes 50's and 60's cars look better with the same era
A/Es on them...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:52 am
badsix wrote:with the black you had better use the 600 paper. are you going to activate the acrylic enamel? you say the cars outside is that where its going to get sprayed?
Jay D.

When you say activate you mean hardener? If so, then yes. the A/E comes with a hardener I will be mixing it with. And yes the car will be sprayed outside.

Thank you.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:55 am
NightTrain wrote:Back in the "old days", 320 grit was the standard for final sanding for
acrylic enamel. For today's formulations, I too would go with 600 grit
just to be on the safe side. Especially with black. Definitely use a
hardener with the acrylic enamel, for higher gloss, better durability,
and a shorter recoat window in case repairs are needed.

I'm curious as to why you chose A/E instead of urethane single stage?
Nothing wrong with it, it's just an older technology than the newer
urethanes. Sometimes 50's and 60's cars look better with the same era
A/Es on them...

To be honest, I thought all single stage paints were the same. Thank you for the info about 320 grit.
Last edited by cruisinusa on Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Body and Paint