Painting metallic panel by panel..

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:36 pm
Hi,

I've read on here that metallic can't be painted panel by panel (Fenders one day, hood another, etc..) I hear they won't match up when reassembled.

Is there any way to do this so it will work? There's a color I'd really like but it's only available in metallic and I just don't have the equipment to paint an entire car in one shoot...

Thanks!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:14 pm
I have done a few cars in pieces.

The trick is to make sure every panel is done exactly the same way as far as gun settings, paint mixing and application (i.e. same primer, number of coats, overlap, distance to panel, etc.).

If at all possible, you should paint the jambs and interior of doors, hood, truck lid, fenders and then reassemble to spray the exterior.

When you say you don't have the equipment, exactly what are you referring to?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:47 pm
Mainly my compressor is not big enough to do the whole thing at once. I don't recall the CFM off hand but it's not enough. I painted my IROC yellow a couple years ago in pieces and it turned out beautiful... It's either the metallic blue I want for this project or I'll just go with red...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:57 pm
I've done it before with good and bad results. but in my opinion you'll be lucky to have it come out undetectable, and I mean lucky. you can start by making sure you set up the panels the way they fit the car. don't lay the door down flat then stand the fender upright. make sure you mix the color the same every time. with modern base colors it should be much easier. where you'll run into problems is your spraying technique spray one panel wet and the next a little dry. also temp if its warm-hot one day and the next time its cool the color lays out different. color makes a big difference some can be nearly impossible silvers and golds and other light colors.
GOOD LUCK
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:19 pm
86IROC112 wrote:Mainly my compressor is not big enough to do the whole thing at once. I don't recall the CFM off hand but it's not enough. I painted my IROC yellow a couple years ago in pieces and it turned out beautiful... It's either the metallic blue I want for this project or I'll just go with red...

Time to invest in your hobby! A good compressor will make your life so much easier.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:07 pm
[quote="86IROC112].......I've read on here that metallic can't be painted panel by panel (Fenders one day, hood another, etc..) I hear they won't match up when reassembled.
Is there any way to do this so it will work?............[/quote]

Here's the way to do it and minimize the mismatch effects:
Paint the hood, deck, and top separately. Then try to paint the
(rear quarter, door, and front fender) at the same time. Basically
painting the two sides separately. The biggest difference will probably
be at the deck lid, and hood where it meets the fenders. If you're
lucky it'll hardly be noticeable.

Older Fox-bodied Fords had their hoods painted off the cars from
the factory. A painter's eye could detect it, but the average person could
not.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:16 pm
NightTrain wrote:[quote="86IROC112].......I've read on here that metallic can't be painted panel by panel (Fenders one day, hood another, etc..) I hear they won't match up when reassembled.
Is there any way to do this so it will work?............[/quote]

Here's the way to do it and minimize the mismatch effects:
Paint the hood, deck, and top separately. Then try to paint the
(rear quarter, door, and front fender) at the same time. Basically
painting the two sides separately. The biggest difference will probably
be at the deck lid, and hood where it meets the fenders. If you're
lucky it'll hardly be noticeable.

Older Fox-bodied Fords had their hoods painted off the cars from
the factory. A painter's eye could detect it, but the average person could
not.[/quote]

:goodpost: RIGHT, we painters can spot defects like this a mile away but the average person won't see it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:09 pm
Yeah, I'm not feeling too confident I can pull this off and I'd hate to invest all the money in paint for it to look like crap.

Red is looking more and more attractive. forgot to mention this is an '82 Toyota 4X4 pickup short bed...

Return to Body and Paint