cutting costs before taking car to shop for paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:29 am
Hi All and thank you for your help! I have an old 1974 BMW I just finished mechanical renovations on and its time for body work and the paint to be done. I received a few estimates, low side $3300 at a local Maaco and $6000 at a local, private guy along with a "4-5k" third estimate.
These estimates are me bring the car in fully stripped including glass.
There are two small rust throughs on the nose and a rear wheel well. There are also a number of areas with surface rust. And two areas on the rear quarter panels which have been previously repaired with bondo.
I unfortunately do not have a garage or I would strip panel by panel, coating with a zinc rich rattle can, primer.
My question is, is there any way to strip panel by panel out doors and coat with something in a rattle can which would hold up out doors (in South Florida, mostly sun and some rain) for say, about a month's time, for the whole stripping and priming on weekends before taking it in?
Thanks again for your help and pardon my lack of experience in this area.
Best Regards,
Scott

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:32 pm
just for starters most shops and anybody that knows auto painting won't like to touch a car that some else has worked on. removing paint and priming with rattle cans. if they will their likely to jack the price up real high. 6000.00 for the local guy doesn't sound bad. get some references more than one and get him to put his estimate in writing and make sure you both agree what he is to do. I say this as there are a lot of back yard operators that are flaky to say the least. I've known a few and they give us good guys a bad reputation.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:18 pm
Thanks for that Jay.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 am
scottjeffrey wrote:My question is, is there any way to strip panel by panel out doors and coat with something in a rattle can which would hold up out doors (in South Florida, mostly sun and some rain) for say, about a month's time, for the whole stripping and priming on weekends before taking it in?

I'm confused here Scott. Are you trying to rattle can primer the car panel by panel for a month and then take it into a shop and have them spray it?

You're rolling the dice with rattle can primer. Even if you used a decent quality self etching primer, there's still the risk that it'll react to the body shop's materials. Not something you want the foundation of your entire paint job based on.

Personally I'd rather sand down the OE paint and use that as a base over using rattle can if I had to.

Are you sure when they want the car stripped, they aren't just talking about trim, grilles, glass etc? They actually want you to strip the paint off? Also are they fixing the rust problems?

In my area you can basically get Maaco for about $1500 (if you want a scuff and shoot base/clear). The only other options from reputable shops here are all over $10k. There's no in between.

Return to Body and Paint