new paint damaged from painters plastic

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:39 pm
I covered the roof with 3M painter plastic so I could re- paint the rear hatch. The paint on the roof was 3 days old and is a single stage metallic. When i removed the painters plastic around 3 hours later there was a strange pastern in the roof paint were paint had covered the plastic. You cannot feel any film on the paint. You can see the pattern in the attached picture. Any advise on how to remove this without repainting would be helpful.
Attachments
20200322_141501.jpg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:38 pm
So....when you say it was single stage metallic what kind of single stage are you a talking about? Looks like a moisture blush trapped in a rattle can lacquer or something like Dupli-Color Paint Shop series stuff.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 pm
you need to supply more info, type of paint, s/s urethane or enamel, catalyzed or not, drying air temps, how many coats. I'm thinking 3 days is pushing it for a S/S paint to have something laying on it for an extended time. it will feel dry but its still in the curing stage if you want to call it that, its just not hard yet. I would try a small spot and buff it and see what that does. if that doesn't work you'll have to sand it lightly with some 1000 grit then buff start with the least aggressive thing first then progress for there you''l have to watch that you don't cut or buff into the flake some of the time there is enough clear on top to allow a little sanding, very little.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:37 am
The product is Nason Urethane Ful-Thrane. The paint job came out almost perfect except for the spot in the picture.

Pete

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:45 am
The drying temps were between 60-75 degrees. Yes the paint is a 4/2/1 that's 4 parts paint 2 parts reducer and 1 part catalyst.

I know i cannot sand, I have tested on a test piece 2000 grit and it damages the metallic.

The car really came out great, except were paint was applied on the painter plastic. Not sure if the pressure of the spray caused this, you cannot feel anything on the paint, and you can only see if you look at an angle with the correct lighting.

I sure do not want to have to try and blend SS silver metallic, I have not brought the car out into the sun to see if you can still see the damage.

Pete

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:57 pm
Pete, if that is the case then the off gassing was blocked as it dried. Just getting it out in the sun might help somewhat.... Past that I'd vote for trying a compounding with maybe twisted wool and some medium grit compound.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:17 pm
How long should I let the SS dry before i use polishing compound?

Pete

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:43 pm
If you could get it out in the sun or at least keep it warm for a few more days that would be like a total of a week.....should be okay to hit it.... I'd just keep my speed low to start with and look across it a few times to see if you are starting to make a difference, then move my speed/resistance up....

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:45 pm
I once had that 'blushing' to occur after leaving a newly-painted
car outside overnight. It disappeared on it's own after a few days.
Like Darrel said, leave it out in the sun for a while and see if that
helps. Give it some time...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:54 pm
Yeah, I had a similar thing happen when I lost track of time on a custom tilt nose I did on a truck. I was in a hurry to go to an out of state show and put a new custom made nose bra on it to protect it from rock chips out on the highway. Pulled the nose bra off about 6 hours later as I pulled into my motel and I had almost exactly those same patterns across the lower nose. I was too tired to fool with it that night....by the time I got back to my parking lot early the next afternoon the strong sun had gotten rid of almost all of it. Within another couple of days of sun and it was completely gone in time for the show.
Next

Return to Body and Paint