Satin Finish

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Guatemala
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 pm
Hello and thanks for the help.

I am a taking my first steps into painting, and at this moment I am restoring my Vespa, and I am using PPG Omni matte system.
But I since I don't have a paint booth, I am having a really bad time with small particles that falls in the paint.
Cannot polish this finish , so what advices can you give me to avoid or correct this issue

Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:53 am
Leovacc wrote:Hello and thanks for the help.

I am a taking my first steps into painting, and at this moment I am restoring my Vespa, and I am using PPG Omni matte system.
But I since I don't have a paint booth, I am having a really bad time with small particles that falls in the paint.
Cannot polish this finish , so what advices can you give me to avoid or correct this issue

Thanks

paint in a booth??
live with it?
maybe some 3000+ grit very gently over the grit?
old school woodworking trick for dust nibs is using a brown paper bag. i fold em up and use em like sandpaper to denib on woodworking finishes. think i read a brown paper bag= something like 5000 grit.
dont know how this would work on automotive finishes though

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:13 am
^^^^^I use brown paper bags all the time with lacquer, polyurethane, and even some polyester clears. I first started doing it about 30 years ago, learning it in a furniture conservation class I took. Depending on your touch with it....can be very subtle or you can even "knock down" a step or two in gloss. I would do a few spray out samples and "try" the technique first. It is a less effectual technique on car finishes compared to furniture finishes however that kind of works to your favor since you are trying to be very minimal with your correction..... Biggest recommendation here......be clean, clean, clean, suit up, wet the floor, etc.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:44 am
DarrelK wrote:...Biggest recommendation here......be clean, clean, clean, suit up, wet the floor, etc.

100% agree with Darrel on being clean. I had a big problem as I paint in the "Pig Barn" and used to just wear my long sleeve cotton sweat shirt or my **** 70's style tank top...

Anyways, I have learned to:
1) Clean and blow out the dust a couple of days ahead of shooting paint/clear
2) Wet down the Pig Barn first thing the day that I am shooting
3) Wear a Paint "Lab Coat" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8 ... UTF8&psc=1

4) Tack rags

These steps don't eliminate dust but it sure has reduced dust.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:55 pm
:goodpost: don't forget to cover your head also. are you using a fan anywhere.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:09 pm
Matte finish is one of the hardest to do especially without the proper equipment.
What you spray is what you get!
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:22 pm
:goodpost: Agree 100%.

I usually try to talk customers out of matt, steering them to satin instead. Easier to paint and easier to care for. 60-70% flat is, IMHO, a good finish to aim for.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:06 pm
I think if people realized how much harder it is to "live" with a lot of these flatter coatings they would talks themselves out it.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Guatemala
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:49 am
:goodjob:
DarrelK wrote:^^^^^I use brown paper bags all the time with lacquer, polyurethane, and even some polyester clears. I first started doing it about 30 years ago, learning it in a furniture conservation class I took. Depending on your touch with it....can be very subtle or you can even "knock down" a step or two in gloss. I would do a few spray out samples and "try" the technique first. It is a less effectual technique on car finishes compared to furniture finishes however that kind of works to your favor since you are trying to be very minimal with your correction..... Biggest recommendation here......be clean, clean, clean, suit up, wet the floor, etc.

Thanks !

Non-Lurker

Guatemala
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:50 am
:goodjob:
tomsteve wrote:
Leovacc wrote:Hello and thanks for the help.

Thanks

paint in a booth??
live with it?
maybe some 3000+ grit very gently over the grit?
old school woodworking trick for dust nibs is using a brown paper bag. i fold em up and use em like sandpaper to denib on woodworking finishes. think i read a brown paper bag= something like 5000 grit.
dont know how this would work on automotive finishes though
Next

Return to Body and Paint