Satin Finish

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Guatemala
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 am
OldFatBald wrote:
DarrelK wrote:...Biggest recommendation here......be clean, clean, clean, suit up, wet the floor, etc.

100% agree with Darrel on being clean. I had a big problem as I paint in the "Pig Barn" and used to just wear my long sleeve cotton sweat shirt or my **** 70's style tank top...

Anyways, I have learned to:
1) Clean and blow out the dust a couple of days ahead of shooting paint/clear
2) Wet down the Pig Barn first thing the day that I am shooting
3) Wear a Paint "Lab Coat" https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P8 ... UTF8&psc=1

4) Tack rags

These steps don't eliminate dust but it sure has reduced dust.

Thanks

Non-Lurker

Guatemala
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:53 am
[quote="badsix"]:goodpost: don't forget to cover your head also. are you using a fan anywhere.
Jay

No fan Jay

Non-Lurker

Guatemala
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:57 am
NFT5 wrote::goodpost: Agree 100%.

I usually try to talk customers out of matt, steering them to satin instead. Easier to paint and easier to care for. 60-70% flat is, IMHO, a good finish to aim for.

Thanks I will try to go that way and see what happens. !

Non-Lurker

Guatemala
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:03 am
Hello. This question may seem to have a very obvious answer. But here it is anyways.
Should I expect catastrophic results if I try to paint with this product in a very small air compressor with no more than 7 CFM at 40psi, and a cheap Voylet 1.4 spray gun in my Garage ?
I know I know with all the right equipment it's a thought process to pull out, I can imagine that with a lot of wrong settings it's almost impossible, . . . But I wanted to hear it from you guys.
Thanks and be gentle. I am a complete newcomer.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:06 pm
How big is your tank on that compressor?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

Guatemala
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:38 pm
]
DarrelK wrote:How big is your tank on that compressor?

Dia 3 d

Fini 2hp 25 litter. 6.5 CFM
Attachments
Screenshot_20200429-213310.png

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:04 pm
That's a pretty small tank....it's going to run continuously from the first second the gun would be triggered. It will keep running and produce lots of moisture which will interfere with your process. I mean....you could maybe do a panel at a time but....wow, that's just woefully insufficient for auto painting....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:59 am
For painting your Vespa you might get buy with that compressor IF you get a low CFM spray gun like a detail gun. you may need to do a couple parts at a time to keep the air up. I have the small gun out of a Devilbiss Starting Line kit. it uses 8 CFM at 30 psi at the gun, it work great for small projects like your doing.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Previous

Return to Body and Paint