How to underseal/undercoat the under side of a car?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Ireland
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:03 pm
I know this has been asked many many times before, but the internet makes it more confusing and difficult to understand, with everyone's options/opinions.

Basically restoring a car and am at the underside of the car I have everything off and the underside getting welded etc and going bare metal, so I am wondering what is the process exactly if I was to "redo" the underside of the car, eg, bare metal use red oxides then epoxy primer on top of it, seam seal the edges etc and the something protective?

Can someone please help on what process or step by step should be? Thank you

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:11 pm
Bare metal should get two coats of epoxy.
Not sure what is available where you are but there is a company that makes a Red Oxide looking epoxy primer. This will get you the red look and the protection of epoxy in one step.

I apply epoxy first and then seam sealer. If you do two coat of the red epoxy, then spray one and let it cure for a few hours, apply your seam sealer, let that set the required amount of time and then shoot your second coat of epoxy.

Epoxy generally has a few days where you can top coat it without sanding.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Ireland
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:34 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Bare metal should get two coats of epoxy.
Not sure what is available where you are but there is a company that makes a Red Oxide looking epoxy primer. This will get you the red look and the protection of epoxy in one step.

I apply epoxy first and then seam sealer. If you do two coat of the red epoxy, then spray one and let it cure for a few hours, apply your seam sealer, let that set the required amount of time and then shoot your second coat of epoxy.

Epoxy generally has a few days where you can top coat it without sanding.

Thank you for making that very simple for me. when I have my 2 layers of epoxy done etc, do I need do anything else or can i apply the likes of waxoyl straight over it?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:34 pm
Not sure about waxoyl since I have never used it.

I use this: https://www.u-pol.com/us/en/product/rap ... raptor-kit

It is a truck bed liner but also recommended for undercoating.
Here's a picture of a Jeep CJ I did with it:
Undercoat 1.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint