Basecoat looks a little "splotchy" on test panel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:03 pm
I am not nearly experienced as others on here, but my observation is that you are applying way too little material as evidenced by your first coat photo. Even though it will be translucent, showing the primer through it, you should see even coverage with every coat. Your's is splotchy even with one coat applied. So clearly either technique or gun adjustments are off. Basecoat is much more forgiving than pearl or clear coats to poor technique, so fix your issue before going further.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:36 pm
Got it figured out - it was a little of everything. Adjusted the gun per instructions and laid down wetter coats. Came out great!

I think I was just overly freaked out about shooting too wet, and of course the gun adjustments helped.

Thanks everyone!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:44 pm
Now we're painting!
Looks great. :goodjob:
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:50 pm
Yes, much better.

Get a bit closer and move quicker with your application. This should reduce the orange peel that you're getting now.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:40 am
now to practice color sanding and buffing on it. then hang it up in the garage. :clap:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:37 am
tomsteve wrote:now to practice color sanding and buffing on it. then hang it up in the garage. :clap:

Now that part I have down :happy: Got into painting from the paint-correction side. I used to run Infinite Detail and we specialized in wetsanding and paint-correcting classic show cars.

The mid 80s mustang GTs had a blacked out center of the hood with "GT"

We are going to paint that onto this hood and then experiment with red tape to lay out some accent stripes so on the actual hood we can paint it under the clear after we figure out a scheme. I'm thinking 1/4" stripes going down either side of the black would look good, but who knows my 16 yr old son may have some crazy ideas :rotfl:

Should be fun :knockout: :knockout:

Thanks again guys for all of the guidance. This is a great forum!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:38 am
NFT5 wrote:Yes, much better.

Get a bit closer and move quicker with your application. This should reduce the orange peel that you're getting now.

Thanks for that tip, gonna try this when we clear over the painted decal and stripes

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:22 pm
very good :clap:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:17 am
We sanded the clear flat then laid out the black out stripe and painted it on with some hardware store flat black in a rattle can.

Cleared over everything with 2 coats, using the technique suggested by @NFT5. Came out a lot flatter :happy:

Next we'll lay out the red 1/4" tape to mock up the accent stripes in different configurations so when we paint the actual hood we can paint the stripes how they look the best.

Previous

Return to Body and Paint