Clearcoat Pinholes

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Egypt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:20 am
Hello Everyone!

I need your help, please!

I have just started a new business located in Egypt; I mainly do paints on motorcycles. and i always have problems with clear coat.

I tend to clean the surface (Basecoat) carefully before applying the clear. Wash with soap, rinse, and clean with 70% Alcohol. (After Sanding basecoat - flat)

But however, I do it; I am still getting pinholes. A lot of them!! To fix that; i have to add extra coats of clear until the pinholes are filled... and that, of course, consumes a large amount of paint.

here is a picture of the results i am getting....
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ROUlN1jzGdt1BUbyZy1UAx8V6BjgkQ6N/view?usp=sharing

Gun settings is on 35 PSI wide fan.

thank you in advance!
Khaled

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:49 am
Looks like contamination, coming from either the surface itself or your air line.

After you shoot the basecoat you should not be touching it with any sort of cleaner. Just lightly tack it off with a suitable tack cloth, or blow it off with clean air.

To check your air line, put up a couple of clean/white pieces of paper on your wall (tissue paper or paper towel is fine) -- shoot the gun empty, at the paper. If you see any droplets of anything...you have a problem. You sometimes need a magnifying glass, but this will tell you if your air is clean or not.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:02 pm
:goodpost: YEP you shouldn't or should not sand the base or wipe it with anything. I would have thought that you would have had the problem in your base. that leaves me to think it's after the base where your problem is starting. try a test panel and do as above, not touching it only with a tack rag.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

Egypt
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:36 pm
badsix wrote::goodpost: YEP you shouldn't or should not sand the base or wipe it with anything. I would have thought that you would have had the problem in your base. that leaves me to think it's after the base where your problem is starting. try a test panel and do as above, not touching it only with a tack rag.
Jay D.

So the base coat should not be sanded at all? I saw a couple of videos by eastwood; they sand the basecoat to flatten the surface and then shoot the clear.... of course after cleaning it

Non-Lurker

Egypt
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:37 pm
chris wrote:Looks like contamination, coming from either the surface itself or your air line.

After you shoot the basecoat you should not be touching it with any sort of cleaner. Just lightly tack it off with a suitable tack cloth, or blow it off with clean air.

To check your air line, put up a couple of clean/white pieces of paper on your wall (tissue paper or paper towel is fine) -- shoot the gun empty, at the paper. If you see any droplets of anything...you have a problem. You sometimes need a magnifying glass, but this will tell you if your air is clean or not.

Great Idea!! I will try that... the air filter is old... so maybe a replacement is needed

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:12 pm
thats cool that we MIGHT be helping someone halfway around the world.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint