stripping paint with electric polisher

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:25 pm
hello all. I have been a member for a while now buts its been some time since I have participated in the forums.
I have a question and I hope someone here can help. I have an older car and from what I can tell it has about 4 coats of paint, the original yellow, then red, and then at least 2 coats of black if not more. I have done some extensive body work on this car, new floors, quarter panels, inner wheel wells and rockers. All the glass is out along with interior.
I have a d.a. sander and a right angle grinder and I was planning on going that route to strip car. I am far from being a bodyman and all the metal work was done by a good friend who restored cars in his younger days, however I am very good with my hands and I am sure I can tackle the job of stripping paint.
Seeing as now is a good time to do the work being stuck at home for at least the next month, I started yesterday, however, I have a 27 gallon oiless compressor (coleman powermate) and everytime it goes on the house shakes like crazy. it also takes it sweet time to fill up. Anyways, the wife and kids said no to the compressor when they are home.
My question. I have a Simoniz electric polisher with adjustable speed. I was wondering if this would be a safe route. It has a 7 inch pad and I found some 7 inch 80 grit sanding disks for quite cheap. I don't want to risk trashing the metal so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, madmanmerc
Attachments
simoniz.jpg
simoniz.jpg (3.29 KiB) Viewed 2368 times

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 pm
I have a Makita 9227-c it looks like the one you have mine is variable speed and works good with a 8" foam pad and a 36 or 40 grit disc. the slower speed of the buffer is what you want, it does take some power though. with that much paint I think your going to have problems with the 80 grit. 36 won't scratch the metal much remember your removing the paint not grinding welds. when you get use to it, use the 36 to get you down to that first layer or the oem primer then use the 80 grit. you'll want to use the firm foam pad and sticky baked discs. be careful and watch the rotation of the wheel when you get around any edges. if you catch the pad on a sharp edge it will shred it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:12 pm
Yeah, I would definitely use the rougher grit as opposed to the 80. I'd be just generating extra heat and stressing out the machine more with 80. You just want the paint gone. The rougher grit will grab/tear at it rather than just possibly melting/smearing it as you go.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:22 pm
Thank you. I bought some 40 grit today and will start tomorow!

Return to Body and Paint