Opinions wanted on single stage

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:34 pm
Its been a while since I last posted on here. Been working on my new project and I am finally getting close to paint time. This car will be a solid (non metallic) light blue.

Since it is a solid color, I am planning to use single stage. Due to my limited skills with a paint gun, I plan to color sand and buff when done. I have limited options around here for single stage. Our NAPA has Martin - Senour. I can get Axalta (Old Dupont). Our PPG store stopped carrying Deltron, they just carry the cheaper lines (Shop Line and Fleet Line I think is what they called them).

I am looking for advice, recommendations for a single stage brand / line that is best for color sand and buff. If I could get a single stage the sands and buffs as well as the ********** Universal Clear that I used on my last project I would be happy. I can also order something if their is a better option outside the stuff that I can get locally.

Thanks for the Input.
Wayne

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:05 pm
if you had good results with ****** universal clear I would go that way, and this comes from a person that likes solid color S/S. the base and clear is much better all the way around, especially the repair ability. to answer about your S/S nothing wrong with Martin Senour or Axalta products i'm not familiar with the shop line and fleet line.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:54 am
Now you have me second guessing what I thought I kew about solid color single stage. I was thinking that with single stage, if I needed to repair a chip I could just dab a little left over paint in there, sand it smooth and buff it out. Is that not the case?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:02 am
I have been very satisfied with the pricing and quality of Automotive Art Motobase LV.
It can be ordered from Autorod Technologies http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/chad ... -and-audio
They can match colors if necessary and will ship it to your door step if there isn't a supplier in your area. All the paint and clear I use is purchased this way since the local shops are pretty much BASF or PPG and very expensive. The cheaper lines of Omni, Shopline, etc. are cheaper for a reason - lower quality materials.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:14 am
wdills wrote:Now you have me second guessing what I thought I kew about solid color single stage. I was thinking that with single stage, if I needed to repair a chip I could just dab a little left over paint in there, sand it smooth and buff it out. Is that not the case?

yes you can do the dab thing with S/S, its just that a repair that requires painting is difficult with S/S. if it requires any blending.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:42 pm
Whew, glad to hear that I can repair chips as I expected.

Since it has been a while since I spent time on this forum, I am curious why the manufacturer of Universal Clear's name gets bleeped out while other manufacturers names get used all the time. I can remember when that manufacturer was highly recommended on this forum.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:47 pm
It's a tit for tat type of thing.
Universal's site banned mention of Tamco products first and what's fair for the goose is fair for the gander.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:06 pm
Martin Seynour is Sherwin-Williams with a different label ...if it matters.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:18 am
I found great results with dupont nason polyurethane single stage. I found it sprayed well, it was easy to shoot, it covered amazing, looked great and imperfections could very easily be buffed out (as long as it was a sold color) the biggest down side for me was longevity, it sun fades after around 5 years which for most is great. but never as long as bc/cc IMO

Return to Body and Paint