How should I do my motorcycle Gastank decals

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:57 am
JCCLARK wrote:If the black is base coat it needs minimum 30 min. before clear
per mfg recommendations for most brands.
But that is a minimum under ideal conditions.
I strongly suggest you always wait an hour because none of us
spray under ideal conditions. But you're also not suppose to let base
sit longer than 24 hrs before clear, so somewhere in the middle is fine.
Check the tech sheet for your brand, some brands may be different.
If the black is a urethane, I would wait 3 hrs before clear.

When striping with base coat I have been able to lightly sand the tape line after tape
is pulled with a fine grit paper like 2000 just enough to soften the sharp edge the paint leaves. Don't try to level it, just soften it and the clear will do the rest.
Like I said, I always plan on two sessions of clear coat to level it completely.

Thank you sir

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:03 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Just to be clear, all the advice given above is for automotive grade paints - NOT rattle can stuff.
That fact that you didn't recognize common terms like B/C, C/C, SS has me concerned that you are about to make a big mess trying to follow the above instructions.

Well I’m just not super experienced in this area and I wanted to see if I can do it. I guess we’ll see if I mess everything up or not.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:33 am
I wasn't trying to slam your inexperience but only to caution you that the people on this site are giving you advice based on using products made for automotive painting. These products are designed to work together to produce the correct results.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:07 pm
We are just trying to be helpful. but you still haven't suggested what products your planning to use. I see you mention clear but? this can make a big difference in the advice given. we don't want you to screw up anything anymore than you do.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:38 am
badsix wrote:We are just trying to be helpful. but you still haven't suggested what products your planning to use. I see you mention clear but? this can make a big difference in the advice given. we don't want you to screw up anything anymore than you do.
Jay D.

I’m gonna follow JCCLARKs directions as well as I can using clear coat and base coat and see how it turns out.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:45 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I wasn't trying to slam your inexperience but only to caution you that the people on this site are giving you advice based on using products made for automotive painting. These products are designed to work together to produce the correct results.

Yeah I definitely won’t be using any crappy paint like the guys did on this tank before me I’m gonna use automotive paint. I’m trying to make the paint look as good as I can after all of the effort I’ve put into this project.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 am
good, don't be afraid to ask questions.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 pm
badsix wrote:good, don't be afraid to ask questions.
Jay D.

Will do. Thank you sir
Previous

Return to Body and Paint