Super New body GUy seeking advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:08 pm
Hello all,

I am super new to this hobby, I am working on a 67 mustang and starting to realize that i really enjoy the paint and body work, (lining up my hood is killing me)
So here is my question I stripped my car to bare metal to start painting and came upn literally over half an inch of bondo in the door. Pictures below. I am now forced to address it, I could buy a new door. WHich defeats the purpose of trying to do my own bodywork. I could buy a new skin I dont know how to weld, or i could put another half an inch of bondo filler . I am weighing my options and I came across a guy selling a door pictured below. He said any good body guy could fix the dent easily.
So my question is, is this an easy fix do I need specialty tools to do it. WHat tools do I need.
Please keep i mind my only body experience so far is aligning the door on my previous 65 mustang ( which came out awesome by the way lol) So please dont respond wih oh yea just take a 24 oz slide hammer and butt weld it to the picklex ramsacker. then next use a picklehammer hammer with a slide rule on the jimhickey.

Pics 1 and 2 are the drivers side door showing about a half inch of bondo, picture 3 and picture 4 is showing the damage on a used door I am considering buying anad want to know if it is easily repairable
Attachments
20200421_132820.jpg
20200421_132811.jpg
Resized_20200425_072244.jpg
Resized_20200425_072214.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:33 pm
:welcome: you came to the right place for advice we have tons of it. I can't tell from the pictures, but the first picture of the used door looks like it was jammbed forward or something jammbed back into it. my thoughts are the door frame could be bent. I can't tell you how many times I've heard ( any good body man could fix it easy ). are you able to look at this used door before you buy it. I won't get into it now but a skin is really quite easy to do. but might require a welder to tack it in place then you can use glue. you might be able to clamp it or possibly rivet it just to hold it in place.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:56 am
good place for info and glad youre saving another classic.
ya know, even the pros get to a point of,"lets find a replacement."
something like a door might not be original to the car but the time and cost involved to fix the original just isnt feasible.

Return to Body and Paint