anyone interested in helping me prep this Fastback ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:44 pm
hello everyone. my name is Don and i am new the the community. i found you guys because after going to several body shops i wondered if i could do this my self or preferably with mentor who can guide me through the process as i go.

the project is a 67 mustang fastback. the body is straight, but shows signs of surface rust and has bondo around the lower rear end. im not sure how to address this ? i have a garage but no tools ...

i also have some rust holes inside that need to be addressed.

is anyone in the los angeles area that is willing to come by and help a fellow brother out? ill supply the beer and lunch /bbq etc.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 pm
Suggest you start reading the information posted in the Info Center.
https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:22 pm
Here are the photos
Attachments
20200118_152009.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:58 pm
:welcome: not trying to be a downer, but NO tools that's going to be a tough one.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:11 am
gypsy_restorations wrote:hello everyone. my name is Don and i am new the the community. i found you guys because after going to several body shops i wondered if i could do this my self or preferably with mentor who can guide me through the process as i go.

the project is a 67 mustang fastback. the body is straight, but shows signs of surface rust and has bondo around the lower rear end. im not sure how to address this ? i have a garage but no tools ...

i also have some rust holes inside that need to be addressed.

is anyone in the los angeles area that is willing to come by and help a fellow brother out? ill supply the beer and lunch /bbq etc.

how to address what? what is the final outcome you want?
can you do it yourself- are you interested in spending about 5 grand on tools first?
body straight but bondo says the body isnt that straight.
the rust you see is just the tip of the ice berg.

if youre going to supply the beer and bbq, ya best call the local distributor and have em bring a reefer of both beer and bbq. :rotfl:

what im sayin is that isnt simple work nor cheap even for us garage guys. theres a LOT of money that should be spent on the tools with the compressor and guns being where most people fall short- compressors and spray guns. theres $1500 in my compressor,air drying/filtering, and guns alone. that price is only because i found a killer deal for a compressor on CL.
you have a lot of great knowledge here that can guide you on this forum but you have to decide what youre willing to spend to get set up.
note- that $1500 was just getting set up to spray. theres a boatload more in the supporting cast of tools.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:32 am
Uhhhh....yeah, even with the pandemic thing going on NO ONE has that much free time for volunteer auto body work..... Anybody who even helps on my projects makes $10 to $15 an hour depending on what they know and what they can do..... I mean, I'm talking family and friends kids, teenagers, and such.... I've always found that you get what you pay for when it comes to this kind of labor....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint