Spraying complete car, epoxy gun settings

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:45 am
Hello

I'm about to spray one coat of epoxy on a complete car prior to high build primer to seal the substrate.

The epoxy in question is mipa EP primer surfacer. Datasheet suggest 1,6-2 bar with nozzle size 1,3-1,6.

I will use FLG-5 spray gun and plan to use 1.4 nozzle, I also have 1.8 available.

What gun settings do you guys recommend to start with? I usually put on primer to thick and don't want to make a mess.

1,4 a good size? Fluid 2 turns out from closed at 1.6 bar to begin with?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:43 pm
some epoxys have a higher viscosity than others. I would try the 1.4 tip you have and play with the fluid knob and air press. spray it on something and if its coming out to thick looking, turn the fluid knob in a little and see how it is. you may need to turn the air pres. up also. you should be able to get a good pattern with the adjustments. the epoxy should go on wet and smooth. if your to heavy with the fluid setting you can turn the air up this will atomize it properly but you'll most likely have to move fast as you'll be putting out a lot of product. you can slow this down by turning down the fluid and also turning down the air press. a good rule to follow it to set your fluid then adjust your air until it atomizes properly and you get a smooth spray. to much air and you'll waste paint and create more overspray.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 3:44 pm
Thanks for the instructions and mindset about adjustment. I'm soon ready to try it out

Settled In

Sweden
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:35 pm
Which grit do you guys use as final sand before epoxy?

Return to Body and Paint