Aluminum Hood Sanding

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:11 pm
I wanted to sand my aluminum hood down to bare metal.

I tried sanding it by hand with paper as low as 36 grit and found it to be extremely inefficient. It was difficult to even get to the primer in most areas. The sandpaper tended to clog when used on an orbital sander. So I switched to an angle grinder using polycarbide nylon pads. This worked and was effective at removing the paint and primer. Unfortunately, the aluminum is so soft that I think I have gouged it in many places even with the nylon pad. I would have like to stop just as i got to the primer but it went through the layers too quickly. I also used a 3M bristle disc and even this removed a lot of aluminum.

1) For future reference, is there a better way or a pad that it more aggressive than traditional paper that does not leave gouge marks? I'd like to avoid chemical strippers.

2) The gouges are barely visible in the primer but become more so when painted. Is it worth stripping again (hopefully using the answer to #1) to try and smooth it or could I just apply hi-fill primer to the new clear and just start again with this as a substrate?

Thanks
Tim

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:09 pm
Tim....any particular reason you are trying to avoid chemical stripping? It really can be the safest way to strip aluminum..... If done right, it doesn't have to be messy, smelly, or dangerous.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:45 pm
I was trying to avoid (naively, perhaps) the issues you listed: safety, odor, etc. I heard methanol works but that it is nasty. Other things seemed less potent. Do you have any specific recommendations for a wet strip?

Thanks
Tim

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm
use paint stripper, its really easy if you get set up right. I sure wouldn't sand with the 36 grit. if you going to sand it off use a D/A don't go any heavier that 80 grit, you might try locking the D/A but thats going to cause the same problems. use the paint stripper, lay some visqueen down and then news papers on top that. scratch up the paint with your 36 grit by hand then a heavy coat of paint stripper. pull up a chair and have a nice drink wile its working for you. do this somewhere out of the sun light and let it work for as long as you can before it starts to dry out, don't let it dry out. you can cover it with some viqueen if its real warm out. do 1/4 of the hood at a time or possibly 1/2. after its lifted good scrape it off with a bondo spreader or putty knife be carful not to gouge the alm. scrape it onto the news paper and fold it up and dispose of it. you may have to do it a couple times, then you can finish with the D/A some 180. use Aircraft stripper, it burn a little if you get it on your skin and I would definitely keep it out of my eyes if your reasonably careful it won't hurt you.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:33 pm
^^^^^^^^^ Yes, that!.....Use common sense, apply stripper, LEAVE.... Let the chemistry do the work by giving it "dwell time." Most consumers think they should apply stripper and like the minute they see lifting they'll start scraping and gouging the surface to get off the more stubborn spots. These strippers work by penetrating the weakest points in the paint film. Once down to solid metal they start rapidly evaporating and building gas pressure. That is why you see them "lifting" the paint rather than dissolving it. Putting plastic or wax paper over top of the stripper forces it to just keep penetrating until everything lifts.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:08 pm
OK, thanks I will try in the future.

Tim

Return to Body and Paint