High spot fix

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:06 pm
20200524_183326.jpg
20200524_182432 (1).jpg
Hi, I was wondering how to go about fixing this area of the door edge. Its far enough away from the edge not to bent and high enough to where I think itll be seen and or Ill cut through during the cut buff stage. It cut into it pretty good with 120. Build up to it? Tap down? Im kind of stumped, the inner door frame is behind it so theres no tapping down. Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:13 pm
i'd do another coat, a good wet coat of HI build. guide coat it and lightly block until you just see metal. then another couple coats of HI build and block, do this until you can block all the guide coat off with no metal showing. make sure your not pushing down hard on the block, just let the block glide over the surface with gentle pressure. i'm thinking this is your problem. if the panel is next to the inner frame any slight pressure on the panel is going to make a bump and you cut the primer off that bump and get what you have.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:27 pm
I always let the paper do the work and it cut in pretty quick before I could sand the guide forward of the high spot. I'm thinking a thin skimcoat? or it might look like a ski jump at the doors edge but I dont know. I've had it at the lip before and just shape the metal, not this far back. Thanks for an option, just dont know if I want to build that high..shrinkback?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:38 am
Jay's nailed it. Just do it 2 or 3 coats at a time then block and repeat as necessary. Shrinkback won't be a problem with 2 pack primer and keeping the coats not too thick.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:49 am
Ok, 2 to the coats. I'll try it. Thank you

Return to Body and Paint