Blistering Paint - Help

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 am
Hi Guys, Looking to rectify an issue i have with a few panels on my car.

It is BMW saphire black, which is a lovely black gloss paint. Unfortunately over the years of ownership a few of the panels have now gone matt, almost like it has heat damage. You can also see blisters in the paint work (best to look at the pictures). Not sure whether this could be corrected using cutting agents or whether it would need a complete respray?

Images have been uploaded here:
https://ibb.co/bWdkd70
https://ibb.co/s9nx1YF

The first images shows the non damaged paint vs the damaged paint. The second image shows the rear quarter panel in more detail and the type of damage that is on the paint.

Really hoping someone could advise best way of correcting. If i can do myself i will post the before and after pics

Thanks in advance Guys

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:17 am
:welcome: do you know if its been repainted? is the failing clear spreading? it doesn't really mater, the clear is failing and will need to be removed, i'm going to say to bare metal. I know this scares a lot of people that say, can I just sand down to the base or the primer. trying to sand just the clear off or down to the primer would be a tedious job. it would be nearly impossible to sand the clear off with out going through to the primer or to the metal. the base color where the clear is damaged is most likely damaged also. its much easier to go to the bare metal.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:39 pm
As for doing it yourself, of course you can IF you have the proper tools and supplies. If you don't the purchase of these items will set you back a lot of money and hence it may prove less expensive to have someone paint it for you.

Once the clear coat begins to fail, it no longer provides UV protection for the base (color) coat which in turn begins to fail.

Black requires excellent prep work and will highlight any flaws in the surface.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:29 pm
Thank you both for your feedback. I didnt think that it had been repainted, but it may well be the case. I cant think of any other reason why most of the car is OK but the rear quarter panel isnt.

I think this is one for the professionals, if it was a basic jobbie i would have given it a shot.

Appreciate the feedback and thanks for your time.

Time to get some quotes!

Return to Body and Paint