Adding Metallic To Clear??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 pm
Hi Guys,

Just finishing a rattle can resto of my Daughter's foot scooter. I'm going to spray clear on it. The frame is a bright red. What would happen if I put a little metallic silver base in the clear and shot it?? I just want a funky look to it--never thought about this idea before. Am I crazy??

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:23 pm
go for it, I think It will surely be funky. if you had just some flake it would be better. depending on the mixture of the base it will probably have some colored pigment that is going to cloud the clearness of the clear. I tried this a few times and MY base wouldn't mix with MY clear. but try it you'll never know if you don't.
Jay D.
Last edited by badsix on Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:19 am
i did this on a set of motorcycle tins painted black except i used blue flake in the clear. it required 3 medium/wet coats of clear to bury it enough to sand and polish but gave the tins a pretty awesome look. the blue flake popped when the light was right. otherwise looked black.

whatever ya try, try it on scrap first.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:32 am
tomsteve wrote:i did this on a set of motorcycle tins painted black except i used blue flake in the clear. it required 3 medium/wet coats of clear to bury it enough to sand and polish but gave the tins a pretty awesome look. the blue flake popped when the light was right. otherwise looked black.

Thanks, I might just play around with it.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:02 pm
tomsteve wrote:i did this on a set of motorcycle tins painted black except i used blue flake in the clear. it required 3 medium/wet coats of clear to bury it enough to sand and polish but gave the tins a pretty awesome look. the blue flake popped when the light was right. otherwise looked black.

I'm guessing that you add the flake as a powder to the clear--sorry for the dumb question.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:04 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:

I'm guessing that you add the flake as a powder to the clear--sorry for the dumb question.

he talked about adding METALIC SILVER BASE as in silver base coat as I understand ? the raw flake would be the way to go. if you have a autobody jobber near see if they have a spoon full you can have, it doesn't take very much.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:40 pm
badsix wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:

he talked about adding METALIC SILVER BASE as in silver base coat as I understand ? the raw flake would be the way to go. if you have a autobody jobber near see if they have a spoon full you can have, it doesn't take very much.
Jay D.
The more think about it, adding silver metallic base to the clear would likely just make it cloudy--although, I may do a test panel to see. I'll see if I can get some flake and test with it but considering how small the parts are on this scooter, it might not pop the way I want it to. I'll play around but for now, I probably just clear it and call it a day.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:29 am
Just add silver flake to either intercoat or your clear.

I like to use IC as you need a lot of clear to bury the flake anyways

Small parts will definitely pop using flake, also you don’t use a little flake, you dump it in.

Add some candies if you really want it to pop

I didn’t know that you could mix BC with Clear
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:31 am
Rebel Racing wrote:I'm guessing that you add the flake as a powder to the clear--sorry for the dumb question.

just a metallic flake. it doesnt take much flake either.

Return to Body and Paint