Respray troubles

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:46 am
So I'm having trouble getting this paint 2 not do this problem I first sprayed this bedside about 5 days ago and didn't like the color after I cleared it I let it sit for 3 days and then when I re sprayed it it's doing this weird pattern that's really pissing me off I feathered out the edges of my blends up to 2500 Grit so wouldn't lift then I ran into this crap I don't know exactly what I did wrong I'm using Wanda 2K clear and Omni base coat PYH code as my color coat any help would be appreciated. Using a hvlp gun with a 1.7 tip at 27psi
Attachments
20200628_082637.jpg
20200628_082638.jpg
20200628_082653.jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:38 pm
Looks to me like a reaction between the new basecoat and the underlying
clearcoat. Unfortunately there's no way to hide or fix the crazing; you'll need
to strip it all off. If you try to sand it smooth and recoat, the cracks will show
up again.

Possibly the new basecoat was sprayed too wet on top of the previous clear?
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:59 am
Most clears have a withholding period during which they cannot be recoated. The period varies from a day to up to two weeks while the clear actually cures. The time can vary with temperature to some degree.

If base, or any other paint containing a high percentage of thinners is put on top of a clear during the withholding period it will fry up, just as it has in this case. Recoating with clear isn't a problem since there is very little thinners in clear, even when doing a flowcoat. The period should be specified in the Technical Data Sheet for the clear you used.

The only solution now is to sand back below the crazing and do it again.

I'd suggest that using a gun with a 1.7mm tip probably contributed to the problem. Way too big for basecoat and will put it on so thick that the thinners will just sit there and attack the clear underneath instead of flashing off as they should. That size is also too big for clear and the extra thick coat will take much longer to cure. Again, follow the instructions in the TDS - most manufacturers recommend 1.2mm-1.4mm with 1.3mm being the most common.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 am
:goodpost: THAT WAS UGLY!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint