Hiding obvious blend line

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:33 am
Hi guys - I painted part of my hood to repair some bad clearcoat peel and damage that was down to the bare metal. I decided to spray primer and base only on part of the hood, and clear the whole thing. In retrospect I should have held out until I got more base and done a larger area... But anyway, I'll try make the best of what I have, which is an obvious line where the old and new paint meets.

Is there something I can do to reduce it a bit, or do I have to live with it / re-do everything? I haven't used cutting compound or polish yet, clear is still curing.

Thanks in advance. Here's a pic

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:30 pm
blend
verb (used without object), blend·ed or blent, blend·ing.
to mix or intermingle smoothly and inseparably:
I can't get the eggs and cream to blend.
to fit or relate harmoniously; accord; go:
The brown sofa did not blend with the purple wall.
to have no perceptible separation:
Sea and sky seemed to blend.

A successful blend starts with a colour that is close to the original and is then sprayed over a primer that is also blended out, so as to have no defined edge. The basecoat blend on a large panel should cover 25-30% of the dimension of the panel, starting at full coverage and gradually becoming less and less, so there is no clear indication of where one colour starts and the other finishes. You've just painted in a semi-circle.

Do it again. This time sand out your scratches which are now visible way beyond the new base. Nothing coarser than P800 wet which should gradually reduce to P1500 near where the blend ends.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint