1.8 or 2.2 tip spraying FeatherFill from a newbie?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:33 pm
PainterDave wrote:
box986 wrote:Newbie at this and trying to avoid heavy spots while priming my entire truck. I already spayed a gallon of SlickSand and did the guide coat/block sanding steps w/180grit. Next step is a gallon of FeatherFill and guide coat/block sand w/320grit before sealing with 2K.

What is best for a newbie without a very steady hand to use as a tip (1.8 or 2.2mm) for the FeatherFill? I am not great at going slow and steady with my gun and trying to avoid the heavy spots & missed spots that I experienced with the SlickSand. I am getting better each time but this is an art which I am not great at. Thanks!

First off stop using both products, use one or the other, they are similar enough.

Second, if you have to poly twice your body work was not even good enough to start priming

be diligent in your body work, Featherfil 3.0 air gunsa, block with 150, use a flashlight find any pin holes and fill them, if you found a spot that needs a little more work go ahead and get that spot up to par, SPOT prime with featherfil any body work you may have had to do, block those spots with 150, again look for pin holes, when everything is good go ahead and block with 180,

now you should be ready to prime using a good 2k urethane.
use guide coat in between each step.

:goodpost: DA man is back! good to see you.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 am
A high-build Urethane 2K won't fill those tiny pinholes?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:25 am
The larger the tip, the heavier the coat applied, the more chance you have for pin holes.
I have never really had a problem with pin holes with the Feather Fill G2.
Using a quality guide coat will help you detect any pinholes.

Remember the idea is to get the panel straight with a minimal amount of material.
Here I had to replace a quarter panel with another used one in better shape:
Quarter Skin Fit check 1.JPG

Stripped the panel and shot two coats of black epoxy. Then lightly block sanded the panel with 150 grit. You can see it has lots of issues.
LH Quarter Filler Work Needed 1.JPG

Hammer and dolly for the worst of it then shot three coats of Feather Fill G2 over the entire car one time.
LH Quarter - Poly Primer.JPG

Guide coat, block sanding, filler, 2k, more guide coat, more block sanding after that.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Previous

Return to Body and Paint