2 Tone On A Bike Tank

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:11 pm
Hi Guys,

Looks like I will be painting a motorcycle tank and other parts. Owner wants a solid color on the tank with, for a lack of a better description, a gloss black oval second tone on the side. He has offered to tape up for the black accent and I said yes. It will be a bc/cc job. I'm going to shoot the whole tank then give it to him for him to tape up. My question is, will there be a problem waiting 24 hr or so before I shoot the black accent and clear it all? I know I will have to really wipe it all down once I get it back from him but anything else I should know?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:18 pm
you need to look at your tech data sheet or TDS, if you don't have one you should get it. ask for it when ever you buy paint products, you should be able to get it on line. with Chromabase your tape time is 30 min. and the max dry time for the clear is 24hr. there are a lot of variables to that 30min. time period. you may want to extend it to a couple hours just to be safe, and still be able to get the clear on before the 24 hrs. make sure he knows what he's doing, the base is sensitive past that 24hr. time. what I mean is its not hard and can be damaged and dirty hands can cause horrible problems. the best way is to put the black on then a couple coats of clear then you don't have any worries about the black base color. you can screw up the second color and sand it off and redo it with out having to redo the black base color.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:47 pm
badsix wrote:you need to look at your tech data sheet or TDS, if you don't have one you should get it. ask for it when ever you buy paint products, you should be able to get it on line. with Chromabase your tape time is 30 min. and the max dry time for the clear is 24hr. there are a lot of variables to that 30min. time period. you may want to extend it to a couple hours just to be safe, and still be able to get the clear on before the 24 hrs. make sure he knows what he's doing, the base is sensitive past that 24hr. time. what I mean is its not hard and can be damaged and dirty hands can cause horrible problems. the best way is to put the black on then a couple coats of clear then you don't have any worries about the black base color. you can screw up the second color and sand it off and redo it with out having to redo the black base color.
Jay D.
O.K. so without looking at the sheet (which I will) ....I may be better off doing the bc then clearing it and then giving it back to him to tape and then do the second color.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:20 am
hope your friend doesnt go usin good ole blue painters tape to tape it off. :flatten:

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:38 am
tomsteve wrote:hope your friend doesnt go usin good ole blue painters tape to tape it off. :flatten:
Yep, going to make sure he is using good stuff for sure.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:01 pm
yep do the black base color then 2 coats wet coats of clear, let dry a couple days then sand with 600 then give it to him. I would probably use fine line for the layout. this is really the best way for you beings your going to be handling it like a football .
Jay D.
Last edited by badsix on Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:03 pm
badsix wrote:yep do the black base color then 2 coats wet coats of clear, let dry a couple days then sand with 600 then give it to him. I would probably use fine line for the layout.
Jay D.
Sounds good...Thanks!!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:07 pm
Shoot your first BC, then use a speed clear such as HOK Rokket clear. Sand and scuff before giving it to him.

Then plan on pulling his tape off and redoing it yourself, just saying!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Return to Body and Paint