Mix ghost pearl into clear, or use midcoat?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:59 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
JustinNC wrote:Found some adapter plugs that will do the trick. I also realized I can pretty easily swap out the end of the extension cord that goes into the outlet with one that fits a dryer plug. So this should be resolved in short order.

Your dryer 240V outlet is probably a 30A/DP (double pole) circuit. Just make sure that your extension cord is 10 ga or larger (wire size, not numerically). You should be fine as long as the extension cord length doesn't get out of hand.

Also, BTW, I use intercoat for all of my candies, pearls & flakes. Then dump on the clear, sand and re-shoot with a slightly over reduced clear.

The dryer outlet is indeed a 30 amp dp. Extension cord is marked as 12 guage and is 15 feet long, so I should be okay? Thanks for the information!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:13 pm
JustinNC wrote:...The dryer outlet is indeed a 30 amp dp. Extension cord is marked as 12 guage and is 15 feet long, so I should be okay? Thanks for the information!

The breaker, 30 amp in this case is protecting the wires past it. So theoretically the wire gauge of your extension cord should be 10 gauge. It shouldn't cost that much and you can screw together your own quite easily.

So you can use a 12 gauge extension cord, but I wouldn't. People only really complain when stuff goes wrong!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 am
I will definitely use 10 guage then. This is an old house and I'm not too sure how good the wiring is, and I definitely don't want to be overloading circuits or anything. Thanks again!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:46 pm
So I've been working daily on the front bumper cover, because it is by far the worst panel of the car. The lower lip was so bad, with so many layers of old rattlecan paint, that I sanded down to the bare thermoplastic to be rid of it all, and my question is: do I need to use an adhesion promoter on those spots before hitting it with epoxy (to be followed by high-build polyester) or will the sanding provide enough of a mechanical bond? (I worked through 80, 120, and 220 grit). Or should I skim coat those areas with filler/glazing putty? If I need an adhesion promoter, brand suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 pm
JustinNC wrote:So I've been working daily on the front bumper cover, because it is by far the worst panel of the car. The lower lip was so bad, with so many layers of old rattlecan paint, that I sanded down to the bare thermoplastic to be rid of it all, and my question is: do I need to use an adhesion promoter on those spots before hitting it with epoxy (to be followed by high-build polyester) or will the sanding provide enough of a mechanical bond? (I worked through 80, 120, and 220 grit). Or should I skim coat those areas with filler/glazing putty? If I need an adhesion promoter, brand suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

Post some photos for this forum's experts (not me) do not worry about any "dumb" questions - I have already asked all of them!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:52 pm
So here's how this turned out:

Thanks again to all who helped!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:06 pm
looks good
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:11 pm
Thanks! Of all the potential disasters - dragging my hose on a panel, my gun or compressor failing, my booth collapsing, rain, any number of other mistakes - nothing really bad happened, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

If I'm totally honest, the pearl effect is weaker than I wanted. It was hard to tell during painting because the light was so neutral, and when I checked the panels with a flashlight, the pearl really popped. But in the real word, you almost can't see it at all, except if the lighting is just right. I'm going to live with it through the winter, and if I can't get over it, I may try flowcoating it with more added pearl.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:49 am
So I'm learning the pearl thing as well and have had some "observations" as I have done samples for myself. I think on these light backgrounds like your white the pearl needs "help" to show more. I found that usually adding like a very fine flake in an intercoat BEFORE the pearl coat helps the "pop." This seems to mimic what you are seeing with factory paints. Maybe do some more experimenting before you just add more pearl in the future.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:11 pm
Good idea Darrel - and thanks for all your help earlier in the project.

So, some good news. Today was buff/polish day, and it turns out a lot of the pearl was just hiding under overspray and the holograms/haze caused by the dew which formed the evening I painted. I had re-cleared the roof because it was really bad there, but hadn't realized how bad the rest of the car was. In this pic, you can see the line just above the top of the pop-up headlights, where I've gone over it with the cutting compound. The gloss and pearl just exploded when I did that! I did the entire hood and couldn't believe how glossy it was just with compound. I then did one corner with the finish polish and pad, and I couldn't even tell any difference! So I'm leaving it for now, and feeling better about the job as a whole.

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint