Hood Brace Removal Prior to Blasting?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:17 pm
I have a hood from a 1961 Chevy pickup that I am going to strip, prep and paint to match my ’63 Suburban. I am going to send the hood out to a Sacramento CA shop to strip and epoxy. I have done most of the hammer/dolly work already.

The hood has three bolt-on braces on the underside. The hood steel is fairly thick compared to today’s vehicles.

Am I Okay to remove the braces prior to sending the hood out for blasting?

There is some rubber material placed between the hood and the braces, is it just thin rubber that I can purchase (somewhere?)

61 Hood (2).jpg

61 Hood Brace (1).jpg

61 Hood Brace (2).jpg

61 Hood Brace (3).jpg

61 Hood Brace (4).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:33 am
I'd be leery of removing the brace before taking it to the blaster. Don't want the hood to twist around in transit, or even while being blasted. If your guy is really careful, yes, but if you don't know, leave it in, then remove it at home and DA it under the brace.
I've cut rubber sheet down and glued it between bracing and sheet metal. It's available in all different thickness's. An easier method, but not "old school" looking, is to use anti-flutter foam. Comes in those 2 tube packages. Usually those products are a bit expensive, but you may be able to sub spray foam insulation from a hardware store.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:57 pm
Ford trucks of that era had the hood bracing attached with
panel bonding adhesive, using a 6" strip of glue every 12-14"

Those big old over-fender hoods needed something to
prevent vibration...
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:09 pm
chopolds wrote:I'd be leery of removing the brace before taking it to the blaster. Don't want the hood to twist around in transit, or even while being blasted. If your guy is really careful, yes, but if you don't know, leave it in, then remove it at home and DA it under the brace.
I've cut rubber sheet down and glued it between bracing and sheet metal. It's available in all different thickness's. An easier method, but not "old school" looking, is to use anti-flutter foam. Comes in those 2 tube packages. Usually those products are a bit expensive, but you may be able to sub spray foam insulation from a hardware store.

If ChopOlds says to leave the braces on, then that is what I will do!

Do you have more info on the anti-flutter stuff? I don't own anything that stays stock. This 63 Burb is getting the typical GSI front end, notched and bagged, 17" steelies and wide whites all powered by an LS.

17s Painted (6).jpg

17s Painted (5).jpg

63 Burb (5).jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:23 pm
thats going to be awesome, i really like the old 60 Chevy's. how are you going to send it? i hope it isn't a freight truck i wouldn't send a cannon ball on one.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:47 am
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/produc ... super-fast

https://www.lord.com/products-and-solut ... g-material

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 am
Ohhhh......hadn't seen that 231 stuff. I'll have some places for that when I get inside my lower back firewall area......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:41 am
chopolds wrote:https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/product/lord-fusor-flexible-foam-super-fast

:goodpost: i've used other Lord-Fusor products and very happy with them.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:09 pm
badsix wrote:thats going to be awesome, i really like the old 60 Chevy's. how are you going to send it? i hope it isn't a freight truck i wouldn't send a cannon ball on one.
Jay D.

No, I will have my warehouse guy take the hood up to the blaster on one of our flatbed trucks. It will be sitting on some nice warm and fuzzy moving blankets over cardboard.

I purchased the hood from a guy in Alabama, took him almost two months to ship it. Then instead of palatalizing it correctly, he shrink wrapped it and sent it by Greyhound! Hence the metal work that I needed to do that I shouldn't have needed to do.

This will be my biggest paint project to date. You guys are slowly getting me to grow my balls and attack larger projects. I started this stuff a few years ago to do piano black finishes on sub enclosures that I build. Still haven't done a piano black sub yet!!

Thanks to all for the help!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:11 pm
chopolds wrote:https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/product/lord-fusor-flexible-foam-super-fast

Thanks, if I use the Fusor 231, do I not add the rubber? Does it replace the rubber?
Next

Return to Body and Paint