Flat paint vs. Gloss paint with flat clear coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:23 am
Looking to paint my Honda Element a flat desert tan.
What are the pros and cons of using a flat ss enamel vs bc/cc with a flat clear?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:36 am
i've had much better luck with a flat clear coat, why i don't know. the S/S paints seem to buff out or turn glossy from rubbing them more than the flat clear does.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:42 am
badsix wrote:the S/S paints seem to buff out or turn glossy from rubbing them more than the flat clear does.

The TDS for the ss flat specifically says you can't sand or buff it.
So, are you saying you can sand a flat clear and it will stay flat?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:30 pm
NO, you can't buff the flat clear. what i meant was the S/S products will gloss up more easily, just from handling. washing, wiping dry and general handling. the more you rub on it the more glossier it gets. quality of the products play into this.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:48 pm
I'd consider Tamco's Matte Clear. I'm working with it over here...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27971&start=
Here is the direct link to the product... https://tamcopaint.com/collections/clea ... -clearcoat
This stuff just has a low "glow" to it. Depending on just how you shoot it....it can be near flat or by putting it over gloss clear you get that brighter matte look that I got with the truck. Love this stuff so far...it is made from the 2100 series resins with the micronized acrylic flattener so it's tough. I am using The Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte polish and it is easy and perfect for these low luster finishes. Bugs wipe right off with no "shine." It is somewhat of a hydrophobic coating as well. Rain just kind of balls up and takes any dirt off with it. We got an inch of so of hard rain the other day when I had it sitting outside. Took like 12 minutes flat to clean it up with my chamois.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:29 pm
Thanks, guys - very helpful.
I've decided to go with TCP's Hot Rod Flatz Desert Storm Sand.
(Mostly because it's cheaper than bc/cc.)
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Gotta love those Chemical Guys.
Jet Seal Matte Matte Paint Protection with Nano-Particles.
Meticulous Matte Polish.
Meticulous Matte Wash
Meticulous Matte Detailer.
Simply Marvelous!!! I'll probably give the Nano-Particles a try!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:59 pm
Just watch the ones that have that word "sealants" in them. Coatings do cure for 30 to 90 days. I had already done my experimentation before using that particular polish from them.... If you settled on the Hot Rod Flatz stir the ever living crap out of it before use. The flatting agent must be "up" in your mix when you spray.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint