Water based paints

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:44 am
How good are water based auto paints? Is this a good paint for a novice spraying at home, not looking for the ultimate paint job. What types of water based paints are available?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:12 am
most production shops are using W/B paints. some are forced to do so but they seam to work good. you need the proper facility and equipment to make them work satisfactory . i have used W/B primers and like them AFTER they dry. trying to use them in a home shop where its cool and relatively hi humidity its going to be a problem.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:47 pm
ezrollin wrote:How good are water based auto paints? Is this a good paint for a novice spraying at home, not looking for the ultimate paint job. What types of water based paints are available?

It might depend on where your home is. I live in Northern California with relatively pretty low humidity. My pig barn is old, leaky and uses an old fan for the air management.

I love using the PPG Envirobase but it is expensive. My last quart for a non-metallic solid color was over $200. So I usually shoot solvent based colors from Tamco if I don't need to match the color.

The PPG Envirobase in my pig barn shop during the summer is awesome as the flash times are next to nothing which helps with the trash not sticking. Clean up is still just weird to me using water.

Due to cost alone, for practice I would stick with the solvent based paints.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:29 pm
Whenever I complain about colour matches my Axalta distributor tries to push me to change from solvent to water where the resources are being spent and matches are definitely better.

I've resisted because we do mainly small jobs and the Cromax system we have saves a lot of money and space, plus gives us an acrylic option, which we need. Generally, our booth air flow is more than good enough to support a change to water (have done a few jobs in special colours).

For home or small shop use I still think that solvent is the better choice.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:03 pm
Check out Auto-Air Colors and Wicked Paint. They are waterborne
and come in some outstanding custom colors.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:16 pm
NightTrain wrote:Check out Auto-Air Colors and Wicked Paint. They are waterborne
and come in some outstanding custom colors.

For Createx paints contact Coast Airbrush, they are true artists that use what they sell and are awesome to deal with.

https://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=774
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Return to Body and Paint