Painting 1971 442 Been awhile

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 am
3262A0C9-A767-4CDA-92D9-81D5D220CEAC.jpeg
Havn’t painted in years
I have a 1971 Olds 442 I bought out of Cali it has epoxy prime on it
What kind no clue surface is relatively smooth.
I assume it needs a good blocking and reprime/sealer?
I was told car was stripped to metal light bodywork and epoxy prime.
Not looking for a 100 point show car. Looks very straight.
Just want Somthing to wash and wax look clean.
First post havnt figures how to post pic yet otherwise I would
Last edited by Johnnypaint on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:18 pm
Posting pictures:
Start your post and in the dark section below this text box select upload attachments.
Browse to your pictures and then click add the file. It may take a few moments to upload but you will then see a new box with your attachment and option to place it inline. Click in this text box and put your cursor where you want to insert the picture.

I would wash the car and then scuff the epoxy primer with a maroon scotchbrite pad until dull. Wipe it down with automotive Wax and Grease remover (spray it on and wipe off with clean shop towel before it dries) and let sit for 30 minutes.

Shoot one fresh coat of epoxy, wait an hour or so and then shoot your 2k build primer.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:39 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Posting pictures:
Start your post and in the dark section below this text box select upload attachments.
Browse to your pictures and then click add the file. It may take a few moments to upload but you will then see a new box with your attachment and option to place it inline. Click in this text box and put your cursor where you want to insert the picture.

I would wash the car and then scuff the epoxy primer with a maroon scotchbrite pad until dull. Wipe it down with automotive Wax and Grease remover (spray it on and wipe off with clean shop towel before it dries) and let sit for 30 minutes.

Shoot one fresh coat of epoxy, wait an hour or so and then shoot your 2k build primer.

Thanks I didn’t even see that small shaded box at the bottom thanks again!
Attachments
B8161738-B3E9-4042-B725-64FBC8CDDD94.jpeg

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:54 am
I know you said you didn't want a 100 point show car, but in my experience, most guys who say this, still expect a pretty nice paint job!
I'd take a different approach than 68 Coronet. Before i even think about paint, I'd want to know what's under the primer! Take a DA and sand a few areas that are vulnerable to rust. Take it to bare and see if there is filler, how much, and if there is any metal work under it (and how good the work is!)
You're planning on priming it anyway, so this only adds an hour or 2 to the job. The rest, do as 68 said. If there isn't metalwork or filler at the bad spots, I'd just re-epoxy primer it, and then guide coat it, just block it and paint! The guide will tell you if there is any problem with straightness you might have missed on your initial inspection.
If you do find "stuff" get ready for the roller coaster ride!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:38 am
well the car hs been this way for a long long time. If it was going to rust out in 6 months it would have already. And of course there is going to be Bondo/filler thats what it was made for. I see it like this no reason to restrip this whole car if it was going to haveissues in the paint i think they would have already appeared it been 10-15 years since it was primed.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:28 am
So i seen some paint you can order online pretty cheap any suggestions?
what about acrylic enamel? single stage

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:45 am
If you are thinking single stage I'd go urethane based. It is called an SSU for short. Enamel is old tech. Actually on a car as nice as yours I'd do base/clear especially if you are doing this yourself. Base/clear is much easier to troubleshoot. You can get everything you need from Tamco on here. Take a look at some of the work 68 Coronet has done in Tamco. I just finished up my truck as well in their Matte clear.... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27971
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Body and Paint