How to get a high gloss finish?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:07 pm
:goodpost: :goodpost:

I started with an Astro Pneumatic EVO4014 & EVO4018 set. Then bought a used Iwata LPH400 Silver Cap off eBay for $200 to replace the 4014. I still have the EVO4018 for a primer gun but it appears they don't make rebuild kits for them anymore.

Personally, I wouldn't waste good money on anything from Horrible Freight.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:02 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote: I still have the EVO4018 for a primer gun but it appears they don't make rebuild kits for them anymore.

That's a Star S-4000 with the green air cap. Getting a bit old but I still have a couple from that series, with the blue and red air caps. I haven't had to buy parts for them for ages but have always used AA Spray https://airless.com.au/ for spare parts and found them to have the best range. Their new web site is hopeless, send them an email.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:11 am
NFT5 wrote:
'68 Coronet R/T wrote: I still have the EVO4018 for a primer gun but it appears they don't make rebuild kits for them anymore.

That's a Star S-4000 with the green air cap. Getting a bit old but I still have a couple from that series, with the blue and red air caps. I haven't had to buy parts for them for ages but have always used AA Spray https://airless.com.au/ for spare parts and found them to have the best range. Their new web site is hopeless, send them an email.

Thanks Chris!
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 am
OK, i am learning!

Now, when one has a weird color, like not plain black (though i know "black" can involve a number of variations), more like my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo with a weird scarlet tinged red, where does one go to get paint to match if only spraying a bumper or a door?

Wondering not only about the "how" to match, but also the "where" to get-

Also, any suggestions of an honest complete youtube video? I find videos proclaiming everything, and just as i learned long ago when doing casual research when there was a website that showed how Velcro was grown on California farms, you can't trust everything you find on the internet...

Many Thanks,
-Bruce

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:46 am
Yes, there are many variations of black. Blue, violet, red, green and even the semi-transparent ones currently popular with some of the Asian car makers. Then there are metallics and about a zillion different varieties of pearl.

Best place to buy proper automotive paints is from your local automotive paint distributor. They usually have a range of paints in different quality and price points and can help you with correct primers and clears to go with your chosen base. They can also mix paint to the colour code of your car or actually match it to the exact (well, close to anyway) colour of your vehicle. Not to mention a handy place to pick up all those other bits and pieces that you're likely to need.

Youtube videos? Cromax for some good technical information on techniques. Also look for The Gunman ( he's a straight shooter and tells it like it is) and Tony's Refinishing who has a few interesting videos on technique.

Are you suggesting that Velcro is NOT grown on California farms? :splat:
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:13 am
Who'd of thought???

Thanks! Didn't know there was such a thing as an automotive pain store until i looked it up at your suggestion. Yeah, i am that naive...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:06 pm
if your going to be doing automotive paint work get friendly with your local auto body paint supplier. if he is good its priceless!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Previous

Return to Body and Paint