After DTM epoxy...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:58 pm
Any recommendations on what to spray on DTM epoxy during the respray “window” that will buy me time? I am not ready to paint topcoat, and I don’t want scuff the epoxy again when I am. Any recommendations of an intermediary primer after DTM epoxy that is porous enough to not need to be sanded again before paint?

My plan is to do the epoxy and body work, then send it to a pro-shop for the top coat and clear coat.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:59 pm
why not do the body work then cover it all with the epoxy. at this time i would contact the shop that's going to do the paint work and see what THEY want you to do. BE WARNED most shops don't want to touch a job if someone else has had their hands on it . i personally don't know of anything that can be put on then top coated much later without sanding first.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:45 pm
badsix wrote:why not do the body work then cover it all with the epoxy. at this time i would contact the shop that's going to do the paint work and see what THEY want you to do. BE WARNED most shops don't want to touch a job if someone else has had their hands on it . i personally don't know of anything that can be put on then top coated much later without sanding first.
Jay D.

Thanks for your feedback. Looks like my options are to send the whole thing to the shop or do the painting myself. I have a lot of bare metal that is developing surface rust, so I wanted to get the epoxy on there sooner rather than later.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:15 am
Why are you afraid of sanding? That is all you will be doing, if you decide to do the bodywork yourself!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:40 pm
:goodpost: SURE just spot prime with the epoxy BUT your going to have to sand it after a couple days.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:48 pm
chopolds wrote:Why are you afraid of sanding? That is all you will be doing, if you decide to do the bodywork yourself!

In this case, I am trying to protect newly welded rust replacement which have a lot of bends, angles, etc and generally hard to reach. These are not for the
Outward body panels that will require sanding between coats for an even finish. I’m more worried about adhesion than what the finished product will look like. For example, one is a newly installed floor board which is a pain to sand under the car without a lift.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:20 am
Ahajmano wrote:
chopolds wrote: For example, one is a newly installed floor board which is a pain to sand under the car without a lift.

why not just leave the undercarraige in epoxy? no need to topcoat it is there? i read a certain brand of epoxy being used quite often as an undercoating type thing-no topcoat on undercarraige

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:40 pm
:goodpost: Then go over the epoxy with some spray on undercoating
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:27 pm
badsix wrote::goodpost: Then go over the epoxy with some spray on undercoating
Jay D.

I think I will give this a try. I’m looking at 3M professional undercoating in a can. Anyone have any experience?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:11 pm
you can't beat 3M products i've use the 3M and like it. not trying to go over board but a quick shot of epoxy first would be good, then it should out last your great grand kids.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint