After DTM epoxy...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:12 am
Hi all! I wanted to give you a super late update on what I ultimately did.

I got down to bare metal and scuffed the surface with a DA-sander and by hand on curves and tighter spots. Sprayed on Speedokote DTM epoxy with an old Sharp spray gun. I was surprised how easily the speedokote product sanded post-cure. Must have some talc or other soft filler in it. Now prepping for urethane BC and CC. So far this is just the interior and engine bay so not planning to contour or enhance the surface. I am using Por-15 moisture cure epoxy seam sealer to fill any small holes (1/16" or smaller) or seams I find which the DTM primer highlighted. Then sand that to scuff the surface before proceeding to basecoat.

I did go with the 3M spray can undercoating for the wheel wells, still within the epoxy cure time. It worked out great, with a hard durable surface and good adhesion thanks to the epoxy. The 3M product is basically a sprayable asphalt.

I have filler, guide coat, durabloc's, tac rags etc. all ready to go on the outside body but not quite there yet. Still need more metal work on the outside body before that is ready to start surfacing.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint