Best Location of Jackstands

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:27 pm
This for a 69 Camaro coupe:

I am doing preliminary panel alignments before I determine if I have to do any welding on the fender and door edges to get the gaps more consistant than what the mounting points can provide. I can't decide the best location for the jack stands. The body is completely stripped. The doors are where I feel they need to be in relation to the quarters and rockers. The subframe is completely assembled and attached to the body with no engine/transmission. I could somewhat place the jack stands near the wheel locations but without a drivetrain or interior I'm not convinced the weight distribution would be the same.

Should I install the engine and transmission? I thought about simulating the the sagging effect of the extra weight by placing the jackstands near the ends of the car but that's just a shot in the dark. Just like I read in Martin's "Basis of Basics", I can jack the car at the rocker near the cowl and the door gaps change.

How can simulate the eventual weight distribution when the car is fully assembled? I'm guessing if I can get it close now maybe I can dial it in after the car is assembled.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:30 am
Nothing is going to be the same without the car's suspension. It's the suspension points that are critical. I don't do any final aligning until it's all together, sitting on it's own weight, on it's springs.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:22 am
Wrong. I've doing this professionally for four decades, and have three first gens in my shop. The car does not have to be on it's feet for panel alignment. Get an education. The factory did not assemble these cars in this manner. Typical bad info on the internet. No wonder some experienced techs stopped posting on hobby sites.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:36 am
IMO where you put the jack stands does matter when it comes to door gaps. These pictures show what happened when I moved the stands as far forward on the front and as far rearward on the rear with the body stripped. This is where I adjusted the gaps and after assembling the car for a test run the gaps didn't change.
Attachments
Gap Change1.jpg
Gap Change.jpg

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:49 am
Something that you might try is like what I've done for a convertible, that is build a temp frame structure inside the car to keep it in alignment. Since the car is all apart can you put it back on it's wheels and then build the frame inside?

I often think outside of the box for good or bad, take it as a suggestion.

TX
Mr fixit_PDX
Chris :)

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:13 pm
The OP is talking about a first gen. Apparently most on this site do no know jack about first gens or the rest of the industry as it pertains to panel alignment. Most on this site would not qualify for employment at a resto shop.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:23 pm
Thanks guys. The gap changes I am observing now are very slight. I'll just support the car at convenient locations and fine tune the alignment if needed after the car is assembled and on its wheels. I am over thinking this. It's not a show car.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:02 am
ScottB wrote:The OP is talking about a first gen. Apparently most on this site do no know jack about first gens or the rest of the industry as it pertains to panel alignment. Most on this site would not qualify for employment at a resto shop.

nice ego there.

chill out dude. the sites autobody101- not ScottBs knowitall lounge.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:09 am
tomsteve wrote:
ScottB wrote:The OP is talking about a first gen. Apparently most on this site do no know jack about first gens or the rest of the industry as it pertains to panel alignment. Most on this site would not qualify for employment at a resto shop.

nice ego there.

Nothing to do with ego. People often need a push to think for themselves and figure things out. Tips and hints are one thing. Asking for a babysitter is another.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:16 pm
tomsteve wrote:

nice ego there.

:goodpost:
YEA lighten up a little!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint