Base coat repair window

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:36 am
Folks, my issue is always dust even with my new paint booth.

but

My question is really what is a safe working time for cleaning any nibs, dust or mis-haps in freshly applied base coat before 2k clearing the job without having to re apply the base coat

Steve

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:16 pm
i think Chromabase was 24 hr. BUT you should check the tech sheet for YOUR product as some may vary. also i wouldn't try to de-nib a metallic color. the best way is to nib then shoot another light coat of base. but you'll need to get your dust problem under control first. the reason for the light coat of base is more than likely your going to put scratches in the base that may show after the clear coat.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:52 am
I think I just have to accept dust

Currently I can lightly sand with 800 grit no issues an hr after laying a base coat on to clear big bits of dust and then reapply base again

I can scuff with gold scratch pad 30 minutes after applying base to remove small dust bits and then apply base again

Ideally I would like something that I can scuff the surface with ever so lightly that does not need base applied over it again before clear coating

I have a brand new custom made paint booth, its not a huge one but perfect for painting musical instruments, it is totally sealed, I wet the floors, wash the walls but I still get that dust happening , we are talking very small bits but enough to ruin a job

I defintely get dust happening in the clear coats, even started a topic on that one a while back. For clear coats, I si8mply lay two coats on, let it dry overnight, sand it smooth next day and apply another two coats on, after sanding those two coats I have pretty well eliminated any dust

Steve

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:11 pm
are you wearing a paint suit? are you doing something for head covering? you say paint booth what type of filters are you using? does the air circulation go from back to front or top to bottom? what im trying to get at is its most likely you that is causing the dust.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:52 pm
booth, I havent worn a suit in this booth yet, that might be my next step

The airflow is drawn from the roof section at the front and exits a filter wall at the back

120540050_3326751824087431_1896110170113288898_n.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:36 pm
I'll bet you see an improvement if you where a suit and and gloves and cover your head. another trick is to tack rag your gun and hose. you might also talk to the booth manufacture or the filter manufacture and see if a better filter is alliable. like one with sticky on it if yours don't already have the sticky. by the way NICE BOOTH !
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint