Satin/matte paint vs gloss paint with 2k clear?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:39 pm
I am redoing my wheels and will do them gloss black. Using 1k fill primer and 1k base paint but will be clear coating 2k to make it glossy.

My question is, should I get base coat a "gloss black" or the matte/satin black? Also, are the 1k "wheel clearcoat" better than going the 2K clear route? I assume 2k is better but maybe the wheel clearcoat has diferent ingredients I dunno. But I assume 2k is always going to be harder and better.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:16 pm
I assume your using spray cans. what is the 2k clear your talking about? 2K means that it has an activator for it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:46 pm
There is no such thing as basecoat that is glossy. It is always satin/matt and designed to be overcoated with clear.

Perhaps what you're thinking of is what is variously known as single stage, direct gloss or 2K. This is a gloss paint which is hardened and generally comes only in solid colours. If you're thinking other spray cans, don't, they're probably not compatible with the clear.

There is no real benefit to clearing over direct gloss since the final gloss comes from the clear, not from what's under it. In fact, you should sand or scuff the DG before clearing anyway.

As for the difference between 1K and 2K clear, that largely comes down to application. For most people the 2K is easier but, put on right, 1K clear can have a much higher gloss. Toughness depends on application with each having its own merits but 2K's resistance to petroleum fuels is usually a good reason to use it on wheels.
Chris

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:08 pm
badsix wrote:I assume your using spray cans. what is the 2k clear your talking about? 2K means that it has an activator for it.
Jay D.

Yeah spray cans. The 2k clear spray can is Spraymax 2K Clear Glamour

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:15 pm
NFT5 wrote:There is no such thing as basecoat that is glossy. It is always satin/matt and designed to be overcoated with clear.

Perhaps what you're thinking of is what is variously known as single stage, direct gloss or 2K. This is a gloss paint which is hardened and generally comes only in solid colours. If you're thinking other spray cans, don't, they're probably not compatible with the clear.

There is no real benefit to clearing over direct gloss since the final gloss comes from the clear, not from what's under it. In fact, you should sand or scuff the DG before clearing anyway.

As for the difference between 1K and 2K clear, that largely comes down to application. For most people the 2K is easier but, put on right, 1K clear can have a much higher gloss. Toughness depends on application with each having its own merits but 2K's resistance to petroleum fuels is usually a good reason to use it on wheels.

Sorry, what I think I meant to say is that the cans at the stores that are black vs gloss black I assume the gloss black just have some gloss in it since it's a 1k can? So my question is use the gloss black one with the can or it's better to use the non gloss. Or it doesn't matter at all?

I've never heard that 1k was better in certain application perhaps maybe a car that is not driven at all?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:26 pm
What Chris said ^^^ some's it up real good. funny i looked through the MSDS SHEET and didn't see anything about inosinate's. BUT go to the product info sheet and there it is boldly and about respirators.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:48 pm
TheMidnightNarwhal wrote:So my question is use the gloss black one with the can or it's better to use the non gloss.

Use neither if you're going to clear over the top. Use only properly formulated basecoat, not just "black paint" in a spray can which is likely to be enamel and incompatible.

If you're not going to use the 2K clear, then the "gloss black paint in a spray can" will work for a year or maybe two, after which it will go dull and blotchy.
Chris

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:59 pm
NFT5 wrote:
TheMidnightNarwhal wrote:So my question is use the gloss black one with the can or it's better to use the non gloss.

Use neither if you're going to clear over the top. Use only properly formulated basecoat, not just "black paint" in a spray can which is likely to be enamel and incompatible.

If you're not going to use the 2K clear, then the "gloss black paint in a spray can" will work for a year or maybe two, after which it will go dull and blotchy.

The paints are compatible. I've used acrylic enamel paints before and cleared it with the 2K Spraymax stuff and it worked no issues.

Return to Body and Paint