Cut And Buff Or Flow Coat??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:30 pm
Doright wrote:I do 4
If I had to guess, that is what I thought--assuming that you end up removing at least one layer during the sanding process.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:47 am
cut it and reclear it, use both class cleaner and wax and grease before clearing.

the glass cleaner will get all the dust residue off. this is especially important on black.

8/10oz of clear is cheaper than a days labor
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:43 pm
PainterDave wrote:cut it and reclear it, use both class cleaner and wax and grease before clearing.

the glass cleaner will get all the dust residue off. this is especially important on black.

I think I will go your route for this job coming up. I will however do some practice buffing on a couple of test panels I shot getting used to the AZ3 I bought back in the summer. The wife owns a 2005 Vulcan that she wants a color change--Ihave to make it perfect or I'll never hear the end of it, LOL!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:52 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:cut it and reclear it, use both class cleaner and wax and grease before clearing.

I think I will go your route for this job coming up. I will however do some practice buffing on a couple of test panels I shot getting used to the AZ3 I bought back in the summer. The wife owns a 2005 Vulcan that she wants a color change--Ihave to make it perfect or I'll never hear the end of it, LOL!

i would leave some light orange peel in a OEM car, that orange peel is there for a reason.

it hides stamp lines and waves in the production panels, its not the same as blocking a custom job and polishing.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:32 pm
PainterDave wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:

i would leave some light orange peel in a OEM car, that orange peel is there for a reason.

it hides stamp lines and waves in the production panels, its not the same as blocking a custom job and polishing.
I never looked at it that way but it makes sense. Ever since I have been doing more painting I tend to look at OEM jobs and can always see a certain amount of peel--I used to think that the more expensive cars would have a perfectly smooth finish--not really.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint