Hows this paint match?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:13 pm
This is my first time really touching paint...I'm replacing the bumper cover and I really don't have the experience to blend the fenders, or at least I'm afraid of messing it up...

You can see in the image the body shop from the prior owner - the bumper cover doesn't match the fender, so they didnt blend there. I didn't even notice until I started taking photos...

So begs the question - if I didn't notice this before,, do you believe this match is close enough that I won't need to blend?

Or is there an option I could remix the paint with some (orange?). This paint card has no clear on it. Just one coat of base.

Thoughts?
Attachments
paintmatch.jpg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:24 pm
You can't colour match with just a single coat of base on a card.

The card needs to reflect exactly how you will paint the panel. So primer, x coats base and y coats clear, put on the same way that you will do the bar.

Even then you won't get a match. Metal and plastic absorb heat differently so the flake will not lay exactly the same way on the plastic as the metal, usually the plastic is a touch darker.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:34 pm
NFT5 wrote:You can't colour match with just a single coat of base on a card.

The card needs to reflect exactly how you will paint the panel. So primer, x coats base and y coats clear, put on the same way that you will do the bar.

Even then you won't get a match. Metal and plastic absorb heat differently so the flake will not lay exactly the same way on the plastic as the metal, usually the plastic is a touch darker.

Thanks thats helpful to know.

I only have 2k clear in a rattle can...so its a one shot deal. Wonder if I should get myself some sprayable clearcoat then so I can keep practicing.

Just getting practice, trying to learn, but there is seemingly years of knowledge and I am still missing some basic stuff!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:31 am
Most every color has alternates and that looks like someone used the wrong one,
it should be much closer than that.
You always need to blend to make it perfect when painting to a hard line like
the bumper to the fender.
I paint dozens of bumpers a year and most times I can get an alternate that will
match close enough that the customer is fine with it, but sometimes I can't and have to
paint on into the fender just a few inches with the base and then clear the entire fender.
That's the only way to make it look like a perfect match.
But in a few years it probably won't match again because of it being plastic.
It ages differently.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Body and Paint