small Uneven painted area fix

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:55 am
Hi I recently painted my car and its almost perfect i have some areas which did not get proper coverage. The paint is a metallic blue with a pearl and the brand is PPG deltron. I still have some paint remaining and was wondering how i would go about fixing it. The areas appear blotchy and have "light spots" where i didn't put on enough coats evenly. The picture i have attached highlights the areas which did not receive proper coverage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about sanding the lower half of the quarter with 600 grit wet sand then the top half and pillar section with 800 grit. Then respraying base on the lower half to cover the light spots then reclearing the whole side. Thoughts on this? really stuck right now and i could use some help.

Picture is for reference car is the same. Not a GTR
Attachments
blotchy boat.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:19 pm
for the color you really should blend out on to the door. the reason is that due to all kinds of things the metallic MIGHT not lay like it did the on the first coat. then you throw pearl in the mix and it gets harder to match. BUT being fresh you MIGHT get away with it. i did a gold metallic car and had to redo one door for the same reason you have. shot the door agian and it looked good looking straight on but looking from the front side back it had a noticeable dark spot where i spotted the planel up next to the fender. at the rear i wouldn't worry about blending just bring the color back to the bumper cover its probably not going to be noticeable there. if it was a customer car i would blend onto the door. for the clear you can cut it off at the forward end of the rocker and at the bumper cover at the rear is there a seam at the top where you can cut it off there? don't take blending onto the door as gospel it just something I would do. lets see what the others have to say.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:58 pm
Spraying metallic over a surface sanded to P600 wet is just asking for trouble. P800, no coarser, on the area that you intend to recolour and P1200 where you're just going to clear.

Work out your areas to re-do with base and add at least 30cm or so around for a blend area. Not because of colour but because you don't want any visible indication that it's been redone.

The rest needs to be re-cleared and, since that car has no real body lines you're going to have to do the whole quarter, plus the sill, 'C' pillar and cant rail all the way over to the windscreen.

I wouldn't worry about blending into the door since you have the right colour and it's fresh. But make sure that you use a wet bed when spraying your base - the last thing you want is a halo over the whole area.
Chris

Non-Lurker

New Zealand
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 pm
Hey guys just did the fix this weekend don't have pics but it came out real nice thanks for the suggestions worked great very happy with the outcome :happy:

Return to Body and Paint