Taking My Time

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:14 pm
Are there any downsides to painting one panel of my car per weekend?

Background:
I'm a first time car painter that purchased a cheap car about six months ago. The car is not worth it, but mechanically it is a good car Also, I don't like the color, so I wish to change it. And, I would like to pick up a new skill.

I only have the weekends to do this and I've know from past experience that when I take on a very large project all at once, I tend to screw it up. If I were to try to paint the car all at once I could see myself cutting corners on the sanding or spraying the whole car and not using the proper technique and then having to do the whole process over again.

I want to do an excellent job. To me, that would mean pulling off as many panels as I can and do a thorough on each panel, so that none of the old paint could be seen when the panel is put back on the car,

I figure if say I pull the front bumper of my car sand and paint it that if I screw up the paint that it is only one panel and not that much of a lose. Then the next weekend I could try to do the hood etc... The last weekend would be what was left of the car roof, back panels etc...

.Has anyone ever done this before? Are there any downsides? Will the paint match on the panels, given that they could be painted a few weeks apart? I'm assuming that I would want to watch the weather and not paint on a weekend with high humidity.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:24 pm
a few more questions what is the color going to be? are you inside in a shop or garage? are we going to use spray cans or a spray gun?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:35 am
Go to a wrecker and pick up a couple of panels that you can practice on before starting on the car. If you make a mess, just sand it off and do again until you get the procedure right. Some cheap paint for the practice sessions - sometimes distributors have paint that was mixed up in a colour and then not picked up. They sell that very cheap, just to get rid of it.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:43 am
a few more questions what is the color going to be? are you inside in a shop or garage? are we going to use spray cans or a spray gun?
Jay D.

Lime green. Two stage. Yes, spray gun. Inside my garage.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:32 am
Go to a wrecker and pick up a couple of panels that you can practice on before starting on the car. If you make a mess, just sand it off and do again until you get the procedure right. Some cheap paint for the practice sessions - sometimes distributors have paint that was mixed up in a colour and then not picked up. They sell that very cheap, just to get rid of it.

That is good advise, and that would be a huge help in preventing me from screwing up if I were to paint the whole car at once.

However, I would still have the issue of time: Since I can only work on the weekends, and not the full weekend if my wife has any say in the matter, it would be a near impossible task for a novice to pull all the panels off the car, pull all the trim and other pieces off of them and sand them all down to bare metal, as well as what is left on the car in one weekend. Let alone the painting.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:37 pm
NFT5 wrote:Go to a wrecker and pick up a couple of panels that you can practice on before starting on the car. If you make a mess, just sand it off and do again until you get the procedure right. Some cheap paint for the practice sessions - sometimes distributors have paint that was mixed up in a colour and then not picked up. They sell that very cheap, just to get rid of it.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:no you didn't understand he said to get and old fender or something from a wrecking yard it can be dented and probably free. use THIS to practice on. better to do this than screw up your good fender and waste your good paint. practice makes perfect ! not trying to butt in on your personal problems but you need to have a talk with your wife maybe get her involved. :rotfl:
is the lime green a solid or metalic ?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:19 pm
talk with your wife maybe get her involved. :rotfl:
is the lime green a solid or metalic ?
Jay D.

:happy: That ain't going to happen.

Definitely solid, no metallic.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:31 pm
with the solid color you should have NO problem doing one part at a time, metallics can be .
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:24 pm
Thanks, dude.

Return to Body and Paint