How toxic are 2K paints?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:02 am
Hi Guys. Long time lurker here. I've learnt a lot by reading your posts - thanks.

I'd like to use 2K primers and clears. Where I live we all seem to use PPG paints. I'd be painting in a garage with the door wide open, and would be wearing a 3M respirator plus gloves etc.

Just how bad for you are 2K paints? Being a hobbyist I don't have one of those supplied air setups. I don't mind the toluene or solvent aspects of paints, but are Isocyanates certain death :shocked:

I'd be doing small jobs such as one panel and stepping outside after each coat.

What are your thoughts?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:10 am
No ones going to give you a answer, because of safety reasons.To give you a idea what can happen , iv been spraying 42 years . 2 years ago I decided to use a 3m mask , a proper one with charcoal filter and a change of filter every month.In exchange of my air fed mask because of glair on the visor.A year later iv had this constant cough. To day as I’m writing this I’m going back to a air fed mask. Hopefully this will clear up this cough. If not there’s your answer. Many people on this forum will be doing what you’re doing. Up to you good luck.
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:55 am
Bill911 wrote: I'd be painting in a garage with the door wide open, and would be wearing a 3M respirator plus gloves etc.

Darwin Award candidate without adequate air exhaust/movement. The respirator filters would be overloaded in a single session.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:09 pm
:goodpost:NFT5 :goodpost: PaintPot, good air movement is a MUST! i've used the replaceable charcoal element type for 50 years, BUT i had GOOD air movement. i can still breathe good, i've done ALOT of painting in my life not only at my shop but for my fulltime job you must be careful.
Jay D.
Last edited by badsix on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:11 pm
paintpot wrote:No ones going to give you a answer, because of safety reasons.To give you a idea what can happen , iv been spraying 42 years . 2 years ago I decided to use a 3m mask , a proper one with charcoal filter and a change of filter every month.In exchange of my air fed mask because of glair on the visor.A year later iv had this constant cough. To day as I’m writing this I’m going back to a air fed mask. Hopefully this will clear up this cough. If not there’s your answer. Many people on this forum will be doing what you’re doing. Up to you good luck.

HI, How are you hope your doing good. :bighug:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:31 pm
:bighug:
Last edited by paintpot on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:43 pm
paintpot wrote:
badsix wrote::goodpost:NFT5 :goodpost: PaintPot, good air movement is a MUST! i've used the replaceable charcoal element type for 50 years, BUT i had GOOD air movement. i can still breathe good, i've done ALOT of painting in my life not only at my shop but for my fulltime job you must be careful.
Jay D.

I started in 1979 in a full time job until the present day . All I’m saying is be carful of these mask as there not isocyanate proof .I do work in top of the range ovens. , Hi hope everyone keeping safe. I retire in 5 years . Done my bit

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:12 pm
It was just a few years after joining this forum that a single session with clear on an overall paint job did a number on me..... Within a day after the exposure (overloaded cartridges) I had lost 65% of lung capacity and ALL of the soft tissues in my lungs, throat, sinuses, etc. were inflamed. I was immediately put under the care of a pulmonologist who hit me with the COPD diagnosis and lived on inhaled steroids and emergency albuterol inhalers for about 10 years. Over that period I also had to sleep sitting up (and that did some minor damage to my back). So I started eating healthier, lost some weight, and did some deep breathing stuff. Hospital would occasionally have me in to inhale albuterol for a solid hour or so as well. My hand held breathing device I have at home showed that my lungs were coming back. A few years back I had full testing and my body showed no signs of COPD. My lungs are up in the 90% range so I'm pretty normal for a guy my age.....
Bottom line....my family doctor called this "iso poisoning" but the pulmonology guy called it "extreme iso sensitvity." Trust me, if you don't have enough air movement or fresh carts every time you shoot you won't care what they call it....you'll just suffer along and think.... I should have known better..... I, of course, wear a full suit with a supplied air breathing hood when I shoot....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:21 pm
Darrel keep safe, with all this covid going on . And every one on this forum

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:26 pm
You too, be safe, family doc said, " I don't even want to hear that you are on a ventilator....."
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Next

Return to Body and Paint