final paint curing conditions

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:48 am
Hi Group,

I'm getting close to painting the body of my project car. I have not bought paint yet for the tech sheets but have a question. When I get it painted and let it sit for a day at the recommended temp, can I then move the body to a unconditioned garage to sit until I get all the body panels, doors and lids done. I'm using a Single Stage paint.
Will it cause any finish problems doing this? I don't have enough space that is heated to have all of it in the booth and paint it all at the same time.

Thanks in advance for the help, as always you guys are very helpful.

TX
Mr fixit_PDX
Chris :)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:32 pm
you can move it to another location the next day as long as NOTHING gets on it, its still going to be soft. anything that gets on it is going to leave a mark, water drops seam to be the worst. don't try and cover it with something for the same reason. with the products i use it takes about 3 days before the paint is stable.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:47 pm
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response. I can definitely wait the proper cure time if 3 days or so between the body painting and getting to the rest of the panels. I do understand about the soft paint so It will be moved carefully and put in a unused garage at the mother-in-laws house where I can store it until it's time to put the pieces back together.

On to the next part of the project ! :happy:

TX
Mr fixit_PDX
Chris :)

Return to Body and Paint