So stuck on orange peel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:30 pm
First time spraying and all I am getting is orange peel and ive spent all day trying to work out why

The gun only needs 3.6cfm... Its this gun https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index ... XOyOk.dpbs

My compressor is small... 24l and 7cfm but it should be enough.

Tried 20psi...30...40... Tried close... Far away...

I'm just so stuck and fed up not understanding what I am doing wrong.

I know this is probably the most asked question but I'm so stuck...

Tried thinner paint
Thicker paint.

Spraying on plastic with a base coat.

Sanding down surface to scratch it before hand.

I just don't know what else is a factor.

Tried less fluid. More fluid
Bigger fan smaller fan.
Less air more air.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:33 pm
which tip did you get with it?

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:52 pm
sorry should of said,

1.2MM

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm
There is one thing troubling me and I don't know if it would cause me any issues

The airline hose connectors look very thin at one point, they are as thin as 4-5MM

They are like needle type(example picture here ) https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-DMAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

The hose is 10mm, and these go inside the hose at the compressor bringing it down to 4-5mm at one point, I don't know if this will make much of a difference?

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:02 pm
Well i have just checked the last thing I posted

Found a tech sheet for these things

https://www.pclairtechnology.com/kf-6mm ... ket-ac7806

they are rated to 2100 Liters/Minute at 6 bar, or 75CFM so these shouldn't be causing me any issue then :(

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:09 pm
I have 2 of those guns, They go ok.

For initial settings, air pressure at inlet 28psi/2 bar and air control fully open, fluid all the way out then back in 1/4 turn and fan 95% open.

Now check your spray pattern. Add some paint to your cup. In front of some masking paper hold gun 8"/20cm out and perfectly vertical. Spray for 1 second. Now move in front of a clean section of paper and rotate your air cap 90 degrees. From the same distance, and again holding the gun square to the wall, pull the trigger fully for 3-4 seconds or until you just start to see runs.

Take a picture of each of those spray patterns and post up here so we can analyse. Also post up a picture of your orange peely surface.

While they're not bad guns there a couple of things to watch. There is a seal on the shaft of the fluid tip and, unbelievably, this is made from a compound that is a bit sensitive to thinners. Don't soak it. The lids have a bad habit of not engaging all three tabs when attaching and this can lead to leaks/dribbles. The pot doesn't feel tight when screwed on - don't overtighten but just make sure it's screwed right in.

Being 1.2mm that gun isn't going to be very happy spraying primer. You'll have to thin it a bit more.

You're not going to get a glass flat, mirror finish but you should, if the gun is set up right, get a finish that's more than acceptable. I usually hold the gun about 6"/150mm out from the panel.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:17 pm
Post some photos of your results, that is a good gun and it atomizes the paint quite well.

I have the previous version (the ...150) and use it quite often with both base coats and clears.

When you post some photos also give as much info as you can, shop temp, paint manufacture, air pressure, distance to the surface etc etc.

The guys on this forum got me painting decent, and if I can, you certainly can do it.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:09 pm
Hi

Here are some photos of the results today.... I will post some pictures of what you asked for tomorrow ntsb as its 11pm now..

But.... Temperature is one thing I havnt considered.... Its about 5 degrees celcius in the UK right now. I'm painting in a garage with some heat but not much. I would guess the ambient temperature is no more than 10 in the garage.

What are my options to assist this?

I'm only laying a base as the panel is primed and keyed already and I'm only working on a small section for practice at the minute

I want to ask though... My compresser is 7.4÷cfm with a fdm of 2.4

For such a small area.... Is the compressor an issue.. (small area being an a4 sheet of paper)

Pics below of different results... Trying different techniques

Also ntbs thank you for your other comments on my other post I only got round to reading them earlier today. Been trying to work on this orange peel all day and getting stressed out with it.
Last edited by fabio1605 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:12 pm
Base coat one attempt
Attachments
Screenshot_20210208-231117_Messenger.jpg

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:13 pm
Base coat 2 attempt
Attachments
Screenshot_20210208-231059_Messenger.jpg